Sb-Acoustics Satori TW29RN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I rate the standard TW29R Satori (significantly) above the 6600; I haven't used the RN model yet, but if it offers any additional gains over the ferrite motor version, it will pull even further ahead.

As for less 'clinical' / 'sterile', it depends, since they're subjective descriptions & what you mean by them may not be what I (or anyone else) does. However, I think I know what you're driving at, and if so, yes. In my view. I have reservations about some of the high-price soft domes out there, partly for that reason. The Satori I like. In my view it doesn't give away much to the 7100, beats in in some areas, and if I had to chose, I'd take it over the Scan. YMMV as always though.

thank you!
TW29R is good enough, seems Rn model offers more sensitivity

You're welcome!

Higher sensitivity can be good, providing it doesn't come at the expense of other useful properties. Given their track record (to say nothing of their designer), I doubt they'll have sacrificed too much to get the extra 4dB. Still, the 92dB of the standard unit is likely to be plenty for most conventional multiways.

and highter FS

Not an advantage. Although 700Hz is still perfectly decent. Bit more of an impedance rise at resonance with the neo-model, although you'd expect that.

so you tried the 6600 in comparison with TW29R ?

Not directly. I've used both. The AirCirc is an excellent tweeter, but I prefer the Satori.

why you say that TW29R is significantly above the 6600.
i'm very intrested

Objectively speaking, distortion performance is at least equal, it has over 30% more rated radiating area, 25% more linear travel, two-piece decoupled faceplate, similar build quality (very high), similar extension and I prefer the sound. Since subjective impressions tend to vary from person to person (and with implementation), YMMV as ever. The Satori is the one I chose to use; it doesn't, to my ears, have the slightly scratchy tonality a lot of soft dome tweeters seem to have. But that's just me. If somebody prefers the 6600 or 7100, fair play to them. Different strokes for different folks. Suffice it to say, they're three of the top soft domes on the market.

also, is sensitivity of TW29R the same of D6600

More or less. The Satori nominally has about 0.5dB more; in practice they're close enough, with detail variations.

Last edited:
More or less. The Satori nominally has about 0.5dB more; in practice they're close enough, with detail variations.
ok you say that satori has nominally 0.5db more then d6600.
but from measurements the satori TW29R seems to have less sensitivity than d6600, probably i am in error.
since i must switch from d6600 to satori TW29R i must be sure that the sensitivity is almost the same.
do you have the spl measurements of both to compare them ?

Rated SPL is an approximation, either done as an average over a specific band, or taken at a fixed point, so expect some deviation with frequency. As I said, I don't have comparative measures because I didn't compare them in the same enclosure. However, for reference, two that I took with Omnimic v.2, 1/6octave smoothing & entered into Jeff Bagby's PCD7 for clarity & quickly showing at different scales. This is on-baffle. I've also added Jeff's measures of the driver on his Kairos 2-way baffle. As you can see, very similar, and also match quite well with the published response data, notwithstanding the additional gain through baffle diffraction etc.

Attachments

• S2ob.gif
    S2ob.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 715
  • S3JB.png
    S3JB.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 711
  • S1ob.gif
    S1ob.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
thank you.
so I'm undecided to choose tw26rn or tw29r
the rn has more spl but highter fs and a minor bandwidth
the er has less spl but lower fs and plus bandwidth
i don't know wich is better for me because i don't know if i need of more spl of rn....probabli if filter will be 6db/oct i need of more spl .....:confused:
i search warmer sound

I can't comment on that as I don't know the history & presumably don't want to either. ;)

i don't know if i need of more spl of rn....probabli if filter will be 6db/oct i need of more spl .....

Without knowing what the context / design is, or is supposed to be, I've no real way of knowing whether the TW29R would be sufficient. If the 6600 is either currently used or in contention, then presumably it would be, since they're both much of a muchness in sensitivity terms.

6dB/octave filters do not require the driver to have greater baseline sensitivity, so that doesn't make any sense to me I'm afraid.

In terms of general thoughts, since excursion with 1st order electrical filters increases below the crossover frequency, I would strongly advise using a full LCR notch on the F0 impedance peak to at least reduce the power demands on the tweeter. The Satori is a bit of a tank -it can take a fair bit of power. Nevertheless, 1st order filters are usually more trouble than they're worth IMO, and I'd be more inclined to use either a low Q 2nd order or a variable slope high pass to (more or less) track the desired transfer function in the octave < the XO frequency, and provide a bit more in the way of power-handling lower down in the stopband.

i search warmer sound

YMMV -depends how you define 'warmer'. In general, I'd associate that with an overall FR trend that slightly declines as frequency rises. Easy enough to achieve in the filter.

these are response curves 0° + 30°

satori seems be better 0° response but very poor off axis (2nd image)
D6600 otherwise has better off axis response but less extended bandwidth (1st image)

does is it important for the choice ?

Attachments

• 6600.JPG
    6600.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 459
  • satori.JPG
    satori.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 454
That depends on your room and personal preferences. In my room I actually prefer tweeters with poorer off axis performance.

+1 !

Limited dispersion for the win! Others have written extensively, but if you want clarity, and do not have complete control over the room acoustics, using dispersion limited speakers is the way to go with traditional multi-way designs.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.