Satori WO24P-4 vs Dayton RS225-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, has anyone compared this two woofers? For the project i have in mind (WWMT, ported, crossed at 700hz with Satori MR13PNW-4) which would be better? Which goes deeper without distorting at loud volumes? I wouldn't mind if i end up with a pretty big cabinet.

Synaps,
I can’t speak very well to the Satori woofers other than to say the build quality is probably among the best at that price point ( maybe even well above). I just purchase 2 Satori MR16-P and they look extremely well made. It seems like their claim to fame with the Satori line is exceptional low distortion. As for the Dayton woofers, all I can say is I’m not the biggest fan. I’m running (2) 8 ohm model per cabinet wired in parallel and bass is good just not great. There will be many that likely will feel different. If it were my project, I would take the plunge for the Satori model.:D Even if they cost 3 times the amount of the Dayton’s. Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Rich

if you value the lower spectrum and money is pouring out of your pocket, go for the Satori (bigger, more x-max).

If you value....value, then the Dayton should be better in that area. and if you are not satisfied, you would loose less money selling it.

note that i have only listened to the rs225-8 and i'm not in an emergency to upgrade.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The drivers are very different (paper vs aluminum, 9.5in vs 8in, deep woofer vs wide and woofer) and so, tough to compare. The Satori doesn’t go up as high as the RS225, which can work very well with a 1st order XO to a full range top. Not too many drivers are wide bandwidth enough and smooth enough to do this. If you value deep bass and lots of it, the W024P would do well. You can get three RS225 for the price of one W024P. Although it is built impressively with a huge frame and motor.

I've used both and within their intended use really no complaints. In your case I'd personally go with the Satori. It can go lower louder and you are probably not gonna cross it higher than 3-400hz. I really like the look of both drivers but the Satori will obviously match the mid better and I'm shallow and care how things look.

Thank you all for the replays, i had already used the RS225 and have minimal complaints, as Montana1 said above. Regarding the price even a ''10%'' improvement in the area i want would totally worth it. What worries me is the xo point for the Satori woofer... Is 700hz to high? I want to use it with the Satori mr13pnw midrange which is phenomenal, but it shows it's 13cm area below this frequency :)

I've actually been modeling these two as well. The actually have rather similar response, although the WO24 needs a bigger box but is also a bit more efficient. My decision was to get a RS225 to work through my prototype system just because it's so good for so cheap, with the plan to upgrade to the WO24 if the response of the 225 is acceptable (comparing to RSS265 and possibly the SDX10 depending on what I find necessary to fill my space)

About the XO point, is all about different preferences, i like 'chesty' voices, for example Leonard Cohen doesn't sound right.
Back to the drivers, it crossed my mind to use 4 Daytons per side, but i'm not sure how to make it work...
Xrk971 are you suggesting to use the 8ohm version? two + two wired in parallel? Then the sensitivity between the 8 vs 4 ohm is kinda worrying (86 vs 91db)

PS: in Europe Dayton costs about 80 euros and the Satori can be found for around 130.

Thank you all for the replays, i had already used the RS225 and have minimal complaints, as Montana1 said above. Regarding the price even a ''10%'' improvement in the area i want would totally worth it. What worries me is the xo point for the Satori woofer... Is 700hz to high? I want to use it with the Satori mr13pnw midrange which is phenomenal, but it shows it's 13cm area below this frequency :)

I think the Satori mid can handle a 3-400hz crossover no problem.
Piston Excursion calculator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.