Sanity check: Simple TDA3116 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks - I added to the confusion myself by accidentally writing "amp" when I meant "power supply board".

Just to clarify: I have two boards: 1. amplifier, 2. power supply. :)

I will connect wall power (110V - US) to the power supply AC input, no particular polarity, and no ground. I will connect the DC output of power supply to the amplifier board power input.

That reads much easier and is correct. :)
And if you put the power supply board in a metal box, then you connect the ground/earth from the ac socket with the box with a 3rd ground/earth wire. But a plastic/wood box is fine to use.

//edit: the metal box needs to be grounded for safety as the box is conductive and the earth leakage circuit breaker can switch the power off (i.e. when it gets wet)

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Wait, you got me utterly confused. What's PE? I was going to use a standard two-wire-plus-ground power cable, one one end I'll connect two wires to the amp's AC input and the ground to the metal casing of the amp (if it is metal, nothing otherwise).

PE is Protective Earth. I was assuming a ground fault circuit interrupter is standard. It makes electric appliances and units much safer. PE and ground are not the same. You described it correctly if you don't have a fault circuit interrupter. Sorry for the confusion.

On the other end of the cable I will put a standard US two-prong power plug. It sounds like it does not matter which prong goes to which of the two AC inputs.

If the case is not metal (e.g. wood), there does not seem to be any way to connect ground in the power cable in a meaningful way. Is there?

1 That is correct.

2 Only if you got ie. a metal cage against radio interference within it.

Thanks! Please tell me if I am still not getting it.

No, that was correct. Again, sorry for the confusion.

PE is Protective Earth. I was assuming a ground fault circuit interrupter is standard. It makes electric appliances and units much safer. PE and ground are not the same. You described it correctly if you don't have a fault circuit interrupter. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, got it. In the US, the ground fault protection in residences is only required in "wet areas" like kitchen, bathroom, and garage, I think. Other outlets are only protected against max current.

Thanks!

Ok, first results: see the picture - that's how it temporarily looks for testing.

It plays. I have barely tried so cannot say much about quality yet. Seems fine for bluetooth, kinda weird with line-in but I used a really crappy input wire with a built-in unknown capacitor so it is hopefully not representative.

Potentiometers produce static noise when turned. But not too much, and no noise when not being adjusted, perhaps ok.

With bluetooth input using free Pandora account, quality felt good. I did notice some noise in the left channel but I was listening to really old ragtime records, the noise might have been on the record, and I barely turned it on for a few seconds.

With line input, I had to use a weird 3.5-to-RCA cable, which I think came with an old digital camera, and is for video not audio. It had a capacitor in the wire, probably not a good idea. I had to use that because in my wisdom I screwed in the speaker socket right against the 3.5 jack socket, and could not fit a regular cable in (the odd cable had an angled jack). I'll redo the connector tonight. With that odd cable, the sound from a CD seemed weirdly devoid of mid- and low-range, in-your-face sort of way, not subtle, so I kinda hope it is the connection because otherwise the line input is unuseable.

I'll test more and write something here during next few days in case anyone is interested. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_221630.jpg
    IMG_20190530_221630.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.