Samsung 710N mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I mamanged to get a 3 month old Samsung monitor for US$30. Reason why it is cheap? The screen is severely scratched. Someone place the monitor on a pile of screws. Other than that, it was pristine.

Opening it up, there are two board, a power supply board, and a cntroller board. After that a big piece of glass. Very easy to disassmble.

There is a controller chip on hte board - SE7889-LF. I cannot find any datasheet on the web for this. Would appreciate any information that will allow me to add a SVideo or a composite video input to this RGB in only LCD.

Also, the glass panel is cover with a frosted plastic tape. This is what is scratched. I am thinking of peeling off the tape, and sticking on a piece of frosted plastic sheet normally used for privacy purposes on glass windows. Will this work, or the film is needed for polirizing purposes.

Thanks to anyone who can help in my two mods described above.

Nobody? Maybe my style of writing for help needs improvement.

So here is my question in a more direct manner.

1. Can anyone help me find the datasheet of the IC SE7889? If not, at least the name of the manufacturer and I can then write in to them for the datasheet.

2. Is the frosted sticker on the front surface of the LCD panel a polariser, ie. I cannot just peel it off and replace with a simple frosted plastic piece?

1. If Google doesn't find it, then nobody will be able to help you. In any case, it won't be as simple as soldering a couple wires. Probably the cheapest way is to get a converter box.

2. Again, if you can't find the data on Google, no one probably knows. It's my impression that LCDs are hardcoated after the polarizer, so if you have some kind of plastic material on there, it's probably not a polarizer. Might even be something that should have been removed after unpacking, depends on how sticky it is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.