Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Not sure if this is the right thread as I couldn't find a build thread for the hypnotize. I have put together a hypnotize board which I plan to use with a Soekris DAM. It seemed like a good match as the raw DAM output is unbuffered. It also has power on pops which the relay should address. The DAM needs about 180ma on positive rail and 60ma on negative rail. I have the regulator CCS setup currently as 10ohm positive rail and 10ohm in parallel with 3 x 47 ohm on negative rail. This is to try to balance up the loads loads CCS demand. It sounds really good as a power supply for the DAM. I very closely matched the LED strings so the are identical to 2 decimal places. I currently have :

9.77V positive rail
9.78V negative rail

output buffer offset is 1.6mv, 2.1mv

Is this OK? Should I maybe try to run more CCS current? Things are running quite cool as they are.

Attachments

• IMAG2946.jpg
    IMAG2946.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 556
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, measure the Ohmic total across each side's any setting resistor, then power up and measure the voltage drops on those same spots. I=V/R so you get the running currents exact info. I would leave at least 100mA spare for each rail to sound good enough. 10mA is what the DCB1 JFETS ask from each rail, and the relay asks for about so from the positive. Add what you expect for the R2R and decide if you want to tweak the setting resistors for more spare or not. Calculate for equal spare current limit on the symmetric voltage rails. It will sound good when running cool, but it will sound better when running kinda hot. Up to you and your available sinking area. Can be a box's metal floor. Don't forget to use insulating Silpads if to utilize any common conductive area for sinking two MOSFETS or four. Nice idea to use the Hypno for powering and buffering the R2R, killing two birds with one stone.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Was thinking about the same. (have a Hypno playing and a dam1021).

The Hypno has spare DC output connector and hefty PSU so to aid such ventures. Its regulators are very low & flat wide bandwidth impedance also. Try 470uF voltage reference capacitors instead of the red Wimas also to decide if the DAM benefits better or not. The Hypno has all the proper pads in that area. Hypno alone may prefer film cap, but DAM may appreciate deepest frequencies extra silence for its clock.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just hooked up the B1 buffer, Very clean and can detect no degradation of the sound. Maybe even better but need to listen more. The turn on/off thump issue is also 100% solved. I may try 470uf in place of 0.22uF wima later...

Thanks Salas!

It is usually reported better and deeper for most things it buffers. Especially when with silly large spare current in the regs.:D

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
what is the advantage of this Vregulator compared to the stock chips like TPS7A4701 which gives significantly lower noise as much as 4uV noise.
Whats so unique about Salas Vreg. Can one can use the chip based LDO?

Those specific shunt regs when their Vref is filtered with a large enough value electrolytic are truly low noise too. They use unity gain Vref. No main noise source amplification. Their various local CCS use some of the best ever low noise Toshiba components also. Low components count, no op-amps. Its mainly a matter of shunt vs series. You gotta listen and decide for yourself.

12V ct is a 6-0-6Vac transformer.
That will not work for a DCB1.

Some have tried (and failed) to use 24Vac ct.
You need slightly more than 26Vac ct for the DCB1 to ensure sufficient overhead to pass the CCS when mains voltage is at it's lowest.
The next easily available transformer >26Vac ct is 30V ct, or dual 15Vac

400mA DCB1 will require a 800mA transformer. That current rating transformer will run HOT if the DC current is 400mA continuous.

I recommend you operate the transformer at <= 50% of it's maximum continuous rating.
That would equate to a 1600mAac rating.
And multiplying by dual 15Vac comes to 48VA