Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Hi All,
I have the DCB1 playing music today. Thanks for your help.
The unit on top is my passive preamp/volume control. I decided to copy davym's approach. It sounds incredible. It's my favorite preamp. I could tell that from the first note this afternoon. I would describe it as more three dimensional, if that makes sense. More details are apparent, especially the bass. I can follow every note of the bass guitar now. It was a bit muddier with my other preamps. It replaces a p2p version of the b1. I can tell the psu adds a lot. It is also stone silent when idling. I'm playing it now with an Elliot p3a amp using the Mr. Evil/PMI psu, and I've never experienced a quieter rig. Thanks again, everybody. :D

Attachments

• P1030288.jpg
    P1030288.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 285
  • P1030291.jpg
    P1030291.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 277
  • P1030292.jpg
    P1030292.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 255
Good news freeman. I think it's a good idea to keep volume pots and switch gear separate from the electronics and mains transformer.

My DCB1 got even better over the space of a week, it's now way better than the JC-2 clone it replaced.

Yes. The trade off between isolation versus more connectors and slightly more wire seems to work for me. I'm very happy with results. I'm also surprised that I can feel almost no heat on the bottom of the case where I have the transistors attached. I'm using 50va xformer, 10 ohm/5w resistors, and 3mm thick aluminum plate for bottom of case. I seem to have a lot more margin for hot-rodding. I will report back in a week after more break in. Thanks.

A passive Preamp with 3 knobs is interesting... One for the stepped attenuator and then one of the other two for the source select.. But he has only one input/output on the passive pre...

I don't know if you can get away with a Bass and Treble adjust going passive.... right/left adj or.... possibly dual Attenuators going one per channel. I was wondering too if freeman is running a 25k attenuator or less in the passive... DCB1 Oscillation issues if you go above this I think.

Interesting build!!! Nice!

It looks like a single in/out phono's.The volume control box could be one of those which has left/right and a course setting switch/stepped attenuator.Then again I have been known to get things wrong.

Yes. I have the Broskie/glassware stepped attenuator with coarse -6db and right/left balance fine -1db controls. I bought the a3 mini. It's 20k. I have only 1 input. I plan to add at least one more and a switch eventually. It works very well for me. I was using a carbon pot in my p2p b1 and decided to give this a try. I really can't comment on improvements due to attenuator alone, but amount of detail and clarity is amazing in the dcb1. Cheers.