Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ilion is not too far from center. My "magic bus" has become the Wandering Jew lately so don't expect anything spectacular but I would be honored if you could have a listening to my system!

I am a city center dweller but if an opportunity comes, maybe if there will be some diyer friend's company also for the "extra urban trek" :D to I lion, I will let you know.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not to mess with the value and log taper of the pot preceding it since the almost zero gate current of the JFET input allows me high impedance. The pot value will be the input impedance. If it has to be used straight without a pot, you can put whatever lower than 330k.

Noob questions on potentiometer values

I am planning to place the order for potentiometers today and requesting some guidance.

- What is(are) an ideal values for a potentiometer for the DCG3? On the thread I have seen 20k, 50k and 25k mentioned.

I am planning to use the Salas Input Selector (In-Selector, Tea-Bag PCB) board too; understand that the input selector board also has a volume pot - if using the Input Selector board:

- Which volume pot will be operational (installed) DCG3 or Input selector?

- What is an ideal value of the pot for the Input Selector? IIRC Alps RK27 is 100 Ohms?

Thanks in advance.

Updated my DCG3 (maybe I should call it DCG5) to more gain (2K/R6), changed R3 to 178R to keep J3 at 4-5mA and added a 20K pot (had 10K before) and all Mogami 2549 internal wiring.

Hopefully, more gain will please the F5. Sounds good so far but I need more time.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    810.8 KB · Views: 555
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
from post#1 "Its named DCG3 because it has DC servo and three MOSFETS. Its standard gain setting is also times three."

Yes its not bad at all for the price, I had used it before twice in builds, not top transparency vs expensive ones but has spot on channel balance as it is stepped resistors type of course. It also may ware out sooner than others and the number of steps is rather meh.

Now that we are on the subject of attenuators, I replaced my Tocos 50K with a DACT 10K I had. First amp was Sonnys TSSA and the impression was that it was more revealing with better stereo balance, but it was balancing on the edge of being a little hard on the highs. Then I put after some time it was resting, a tube amp I had, the Baby Huey, based on a design by Gingertube, and I felt it was a better synergy.
I have to switch back to the TSSA in order to be certain what I prefer most, but for the time, my tube amp is singing better than I ever remember.
Also, changed the input selector and cabling - I switch ground and phase for each input - in order to minimize loop area, and make Andrew happy!

Attachments

• IMG_20170206_195039[1].jpg
    IMG_20170206_195039[1].jpg
    909 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_20170206_195708[1].jpg
    IMG_20170206_195708[1].jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 560
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't see you are facing anywhere near a narrowed bandwidth problem yet with 10K pot & 10K//1nF load in simulation (that is why I was asking your measured figures so to plug them in). Here is its closed loop at half your pot for your 2x gain loaded with your 6m//6m cable runs to the amps. Phase margin with your specifics simulates as 94 degrees in open loop also. All well.

The speakers new arrangement looks nice. How is it going with the new HF horn and overhauled crossover, and how do you like the DCG3 after, what, a couple of months maybe?

Attachments

• VGpot&load.png
    VGpot&load.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 509
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You could also try verify that bandwidth with a 10K load resistor across two output cables in parallel on a channel and the scope's probe attached at that resistor. Feeding 1V 1kHz sinewave from the generator when the pot is split equally for worst case response and your 2x gain gives 1V output again. Wind the frequency up until you read 0.71V. For finding your practical -3dB supersonic reach.