Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It can turn out to be a bad idea if your diodes are not strong TO-220 and the fuses may need upgrade due to stronger charge inrush. For 150nF shunting caps don't know, sometimes they create a peak with other caps. This PSU ain't reactive, has no error feedback loop amp, that's a major difference from other really active regs you may try there, its also very low noise and has hundreds of kHz bandwidth flat Z out. Thus it will not react and oscillate but maybe bypassing is not the same in effect like in other situations. But this one you will evaluate for yourself.

Hallo Salas

I will use 1x DCG03 and 2x SSR-3 PSU to deliver a stereo Headphone and RCA signal.
If I get you right the Requirements for the power supply unit are 10W per channel with 100mA bias and less with 150mA bias. Is that correct?
Two test the DCB03 I need a 120 ohm, 5W resistor for each channel, right?

just now tried some rolling opamp...ad823 opa2134 TLE2072

for now i prefer the opa2134,,,give something to the sound i like,,will play some more hours to see if it stay that way

the ad823 and the TLE2072 is more or less the same,,there are some difference..

will tell more when i have played much more on them

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hallo Salas

I will use 1x DCG03 and 2x SSR-3 PSU to deliver a stereo Headphone and RCA signal.
If I get you right the Requirements for the power supply unit are 10W per channel with 100mA bias and less with 150mA bias. Is that correct?
Two test the DCB03 I need a 120 ohm, 5W resistor for each channel, right?

That's double mono PSU configuration then. 10W per channel peak power draw with 150mA bias and 7W with 100mA bias. Because it can swing double its bias current before pushing hard on a heavy load clips the negative portion of the sine wave. So one 120 Ohm for each rail on each PSU when you want to set them and test them before going live with the preamp as load, yes.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
just now tried some rolling opamp...ad823 opa2134 TLE2072

for now i prefer the opa2134,,,give something to the sound i like,,will play some more hours to see if it stay that way

the ad823 and the TLE2072 is more or less the same,,there are some difference..

will tell more when i have played much more on them

I know of one guy with big speakers and rather heavy room sound that the 2134 in the DCG3's servo gave him what he wanted that is why I urged you to try it too. Makes more tonal contrast and a spicier top. But in my experience when the transducers are allowed to come across neutral enough the 823 is the more naturally refined and spacious one. The TLE2072/82 made the more forward presentation with impressive slam but it also had the less refined treble among those three.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
System's synergy. That's why I left a window for you guys to roll. The 2134 fulfills all the technical requirements for that position, no danger precaution flag raised by me. Happy to know that I helped you go on right track by recommending it for a test.

Others hear nothing or almost nothing between different chips in the servo as repeatedly stated here, one other went full circle back to the 823 even after a much expensive discrete op-amp test also. Just keep whatever technically correct type makes you happy in your own system with your own ears.