SAE Two - A14

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there!
New to this Forum and learning as I go......

Looking to resolve this problem:
The parametric EQ control knobs on my A14 have put out tremendous crackling and popping to the point that I cannot turn them even the slightest bit without receiving this out my main spkrs. It has been this way for a long time now. Some years back I had it serviced and the pots cleaned but these symptoms returned. In addition, several toggles and the attenuator do the same but not with the intensity that the EQ knobs do. Please advise.....

Also, any suggestions where I might locate a readable schematic for this unit??

Go to your local electronics supplier and buy some aerosol contact cleaner. Power down unit, open it and spray a little into the pots while exercising them.

Note: The problem with contact cleaner is that the more you use it, the more often you have to use it. Eventually you may need to replace the pots.

contact spray

most contact sprays in the market ,,,,,, include inside a classic material to clean and lubricate..... nice and clean DIESEL OIL !!!! yes its diesel like the one you use in your car but very very low octane and very very clean ......

so after you use it the alcohols from the spray vaporates in the atmosphere and what is left in your device ??????

NORMAL OIL !!!!! oil gets sticky and works like a magnet to dust !!! ( not ot mention what this does to plastics )

thus resulting that when you use it then you have to use it again and again as herman v said

solution !!!

first buy something from the market that doesnt include too much diesel inside ...one of them is the red contact spray from philips you apply loads of it with out feeling guilty about this ....work your switches and pots to make shure that contacts are more contactive ....a combination of one or two applyies of spray with presurized air will make miracles

then wash the excecive ammounts of spray ( and oil ) with blue spray from philips which actually works as a degreaser IE remooves oil left overs

this might make your pots and switches feel kind of squeeky or scratchy while turning them but they will sound perfect ....

actually i follow the same tactic and when i finish with the perfect wash with the degreaser i re apply again just a breath of contact spray for lubrication .... but just a breath

Hi, and firstly, Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noël, to you in DIYaudio land!
Well, you know, I'm not a fan of adding anything to clean something that is dirty. I usually prefer to take the switch apart and remove the "crud" from the contacts. I know, this takes a very long time, but it renders the switch to its original condition.
The proper way to do this, and I shall credit the engineer at W.J. Ford surplus who told me this even though I don't remember his name, is to USE AN ERASER AND RUB IT ON THE CONTACTS.
Yes, it requires taking the switch off the board, taking the switch apart, and meticulously cleaning the individual contacts with a small piece of eraser. Any eraser will do, and the pencil-end erasers obviously work better for small contacts.
As for the contacts which I call "pinchers" the ones that surround the metal tabs, well, I use piece of ordinary paper to clean the inside. It does.
Although my method seems funny and cheap, I can tell you that none of the switches I have repaired ever went bad again. yet.

why an eraser you might ask? well, think about it... and then think about sand paper...

Now I have a question for you people: look at the knobs on your SAE TWO receiver and tell me honestly, don't they remind you of NAD knobs on say, a 7240 receiver? I immediately thought this.

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.