S.2 - Open Baffle`

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having read many open baffle threads and looked and listened to many videos, curiosity got the better of me and I grabbed a couple of pieces of cardboard [18cm X 37cm 8mm thick] and the rejected drivers from S.1 and put them on the stands in the listening room connected to the 50w PA amp. Centre of mid-range around to back is 15 cm, both drivers are a touch off centre, not on the 45 degree axis.

Fe = .17 X 343 / .15.
389 Hz.

The rolloff is there, I ran some test tones through and it has some lower mid-range to 250 and then if falls off precipitously. I do hear that clean open sound that OB fans rave about, so since my goal was something clear, clean, good for vocals, acoustic, guitar, minimal signal chain and sound-staging, non-invasive to my many nearby neighbours, I will make S.3 an OB based around a good quality driver, no crossover or BSC, simple signal chain. One piece of plywood should do it for the baffle and stands. OB do limit to what you listen to, no doubt about that. No d 'n' b for an OB. Vocals, chamber music, acoustic, light music, etc.

I am dreading the word-work as I have a negative skill-set for that.

I need to buy just any stereo amp so I have something to base the system upon as I am in mono and it's driving me nuts. Anything high quality would be a waste as I am a novice in the DIY arena and anything I build and hook to it would be kludged at best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.