• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russian "6L6" ID

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a bunch of NOS Russian tubes that I'd like to use if someone can help me identify them. And possibly offer some clues as to their capabilities.

These were sold in the 80s by Radio Shack and have the white Realistic Long Life logo as well as a purple/blue ink logo that says 6L6GC and Made in USSR. Comparing side by side with an old RCA 6L6GC, the Russian tube has a taller but slightly smaller diameter bottle, the plate structure is the same height but perhaps marginally narrower. They have ordinary looking black bases (not coin). RCA 6L6GC at left, Russian tube at right.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20160121_230129.jpg
    20160121_230129.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 257
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunately neither, I was agreeing with the warnings posted just above my post - sorry for not making that clear.

I would not trust those at anything close to 6L6GC operating conditions. They were just adequate when treated as a 6L6GA, and I would not run them to close to Pd.

Better tubes are out there.

Ok, I understand. In this case Pd is not a concern, I would be operating it pretty relaxed. But I am curious about Va and Vg2. Exceeding those is usually a matter of arcing or not. If they don't, operating at higher voltages doesn't have adverse effects on life in my experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.