• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rusky version EF86

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'll be building an EF86/EL84 ( both triode strapped) amp soon, and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...5&_trkparms=algo=SI&its=I&itu=UCI&otn=4&ps=42

Specifically, how do they compare with some of the NOS. I have six Valvos in hand, but if these Russian varieties are good, I'll procure some of them also. I'm also wondering if any of you have tried the cryoed Russian variety. My limited experience with cryoed tubes has been very positive.

As always, thanks for your help.

Cheers, Crazy Bill :)

If those are genuine Russian valves (which they probably are) then they are made by Svetlana. The reason I say that is that I believe that an American company bought the rights to use that logo and name, and I don't know where they source their valves from.

I don't have any direct experience of the tube you mention, but I have had 6H30's and 6P3n from Russian Svetlana. Both have been very good and reliable. I would describe them both as having a full bodied sound with a softer top end than the other NOS I have come across.
Generally recommended.

Shoog

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had such EF86s in Edicron NOS boxes. They were the CCCP ones, with the stamped screen. I compared them to Philips Miniwatt (the ones with the mesh screen, same as Amperex). The Soviet ones are very good, the tone is a bit lighter than the Holland ones. There are NOS Siemens stamped ones, exactly the same to the Soviets.

salas said:
I had such EF86s in Edicron NOS boxes. They were the CCCP ones, with the stamped screen. I compared them to Philips Miniwatt (the ones with the mesh screen, same as Amperex). The Soviet ones are very good, the tone is a bit lighter than the Holland ones. There are NOS Siemens stamped ones, exactly the same to the Soviets.

Russian tubes ended up being relabeled by many different manufacturers over the years. I have what is clearly a Reflektor 6p14p, relabeled as an EL84 and silkscreened with the Dumont logo, in a dumont box. They didn't even scrub off the reflektor badge, just printed right over it. The tube states it's country of origin as "west germany" even though CCCP is still clearly visible under the red paint.

I've used a number of EF86s - triode connected mind you - and (subjective warning) the Svetlana ones always sounded a bit bright in the treble in my system. I've always like the Philips ones... along with Tungsram. I've also used NEC made-in-Japan with good results. Surprisingly the Telefunken EF86 left me cold... go figure.

Prices on EF86s are rising due to a number of guitar amps (old and new) using this tube.

I've heard rumors that the older Russian EF86s were better than the latest production - but honestly I've never compared.

Another budget option is to use the Philips/Tungsram EF40 (European B8A socket) as EF40s are dirt cheap and an exact equivalent. They can be a little more difficult to find stateside though.

kstagger said:
I've used a number of EF86s - triode connected mind you - and (subjective warning) the Svetlana ones always sounded a bit bright in the treble in my system.

Triode connected brings out the best performance and is far more consistent when changing brands.
Not sure about bright treble ? Case of clearing out ear'ole or gradual tinitus.
I've never had any problems with the winged C EF86's. Interstingly, on noise issues it isn't one of Morgan Jones preferences..

I thought my system sounded dull on highs until I changed Sat receiver, after which it really sounds sharper.. Obviously not all Sat receivers have the same audio out circuitry.

richj

richwalters said:

Triode connected brings out the best performance and is far more consistent when changing brands.
Not sure about bright treble ? Case of clearing out ear'ole or gradual tinitus.

richj

nope - no tinnitus here... :) and I can still hear half decently into the high-freq (being only 37 with no big booming car stereo).

Though different system/speaker/room interactions definitely can give different results.

Hello all,

Sorry it took so long, but thanks to all for your thoughts. It helped a great deal.

The other day I was in my tube stash, and lo and behold, I find a lot of four of the Russian EF86's dated 1966. I had totally forgotten I had purchased these during one of my Ebay buying sprees. Tough getting old.

I've been buying Russian tubes mostly on Ebay for a while now. I use 6h23n-eb (cryoed from the Tubeman, absolutely incredible tube ), 6n15n-ev, and 6n14n-ev. I find that cryoing tubes makes for a very significant improvement ( at least in my admittedly limited experience,though YMMV ).

One Rusky tube that I absolutely love is the Svetlana black plate 5U4G.
If you use a 5U4G, you must try one. Just make sure its the black plate version, only made in the fifties and sixties. They're available on Ebay @ approx. 15.00 tube.

Give me a couple of months to get the amp breadboarded and I'll report back on a comparison between the Russian and Valvo tubes.

Thanks again, and till then

Cheers, Crazy Bill:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.