Running DVC on 4ohm monoblock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so I am getting a DVC 4ohm per coil sub and I want to hook it up to my monoblock amp. Am I going to have any problems with it? If so what would be the problems? If cooling is going to be the only problem I already have that handled. I cut a blowhole for a 70mm fan on the top that is exhaust and reversed the stock 40mm fan so I am getting fairly good airflow.

it really depends upon the details of how you were to make the connection to the amp, and what it's rating were. What sorts of impedances can it support?
Remember, if you connect both voice coils in parallel, you've got yourself a 2 ohms woofer. You can use only one and get a 4 ohms woofer, or you can use two amplifiers or the two sides of a stereo unit with each 4 ohm voice coil.

If you wire your subs parallel you will end up with a total impedance of 2 Ohm as previously mentioned. The advantage is that by lowering the load on the amp's output the more power it produces, but make sure your amp can cope with such low loads. I once bought 2 Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0 amps (still have them new in the box, never used?????) that can widstand loads as low as 1/2 Ohm in bridged mono mode and produce a nifty 1000W RMS. But be aware, NOT ALL AMPS ARE LIKE THAT.

Regards

I am running them in parallel so that is a 2ohm load the amp. It is handling it nice once I turned the gain down. If I have the gain at or over 3/4 my sub will start to ping(why is this?). It is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I sounds like a ping pong ball hitting a piece of sheet metal or something. And the heat thing I through I read somewhere that if you hook up a lower impendance then rated the amp with heat up do to the amount of strain on the amp. This is on a cheap walmart 300watt peak 150rms vr3 amp. This is what it looks like in my car.
IMG00040.jpg

Sorry the car is so dirty.
here is the sub.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1426055

You are providing to much power, voice coils want to move further than excursion limit and they hit the magnet structure. [animation]
No it is when I am not supplieing any music. It just will out of now were do it. But if I unhook the rca's it stops. It is the crazies thing. It is almost at like it is getting a like 4hz test tone on a sizer motion at 400w. Oh and just like I had suspected my amp gets really hot now.

The amp gets so hot because you are increasing the ouput current by 100%, so basically you are multiplying the heat produced by a factor of four (which increases as the amplifier heats up, increasing MOSFET RDS).

Sounds like there is either a problem with the head unit or you are picking up noise in your RCA's...which is not likely the problem here because it is a very low frequency.

My initial thoughts are that the noise is induced by the amplifier, does it oscillate like that at full gain even with RCA's disconnected? If you can have the gain up and the problem does not stop when the RCA's are removed it is the amp. If the noise stops the next thing I would look at is the head unit - is it turned ON and with volume down all the way or muted as this occurs? Or does problem disappear when the deck is muted?

-Matt

My initial thoughts are that the noise is induced by the amplifier, does it oscillate like that at full gain even with RCA's disconnected? If you can have the gain up and the problem does not stop when the RCA's are removed it is the amp. If the noise stops the next thing I would look at is the head unit - is it turned ON and with volume down all the way or muted as this occurs? Or does problem disappear when the deck is muted?
Yeah it does stop when the rca's are unpluged. And I have beeng having a problem with interference. Ever time there is an action on the head unit lets say it changes tracks my sub mimics the sound of the lazer tracking over the cd. It really doesnt bother me that much because of the fact that it isnt that lound and when the car is running you dont hear it over the glass pack. Why would the head unit be making this sound at a certain amout of gain? It is almost like feed back from a mic. Like you know if you turn the reciever up to a certain point then you get feed back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.