Ruined Songs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just about any song that gets played way too much is ruined; even a good song. "Stairway to Heaven" was mentioned and it was played on the radio every day for 30 years. Too much!

But what really ruins a song for me is when it is used for a commercial, especially if they change the song around to make a stupid jingle. Because to me, it's not a song any more; it's a commercial.

Big disappointment for me was when Eddie Money sang his trademark song on a stupid travel agency commercial. It's not that I was ever a fan; but this was a new low. He looks like he's been living at a truck stop for the past 35 years. He sure doesn't look like a guy that would be going on vacation; he looks more like a guy that might steal a bottle of vodka from Walgreens. Sad.

I worked in the retail audio trade off and on during the mid 70s - and as excellent as they were technically and thematically, if I never hear any track from Dark Side of the Moon, or Another Brick in the Wall again, it'll be too soon.
OTOH, I consider "Wish you were here" to be a masterpiece, and can listen to its entirety anytime, anywhere.

I worked in the repair shop of a local music store back in the '70s & '80s, when records were still being played. We also sold audio equipment (mostly Sony ES & McIntosh), so the shop had a few test LPs for repairing turntables. Too few, as it turned out.

The brass & woodwind tech (with whom we shared the shop) had a bit of a temper, and after hearing the same record for the Nth time, he would quietly walk over to the electronics bench, carefully place the tonearm upon its rest, remove the disc, take it into his little brass buffing room, and nail it to the wall.

After a few years there was quite a collection on the Wall of Shame. I'm trying to remember some of the titles, it's been awhile. I know Heart's Dreamboat Annie was up there. That's all I can think of, I'm out of coffee this morning... :mad:

Paradise by the dashboard light by Meatloaf

I had a roommate in college that (over) played this to my breaking point also.

But my biggest turn-off is anything AC/DC to this day. I was on a road trip with 4 other guys who played the same cassette tape over and over for about 400 miles. After my turn to ride shotgun, I finally managed to eject it and toss it out the window. The name-calling didn't seem to bother me. In fact, when I hear some of those names today, it brings a smile to my face. :D And the buttons on the car radio get pushed after only the first couple of notes.

Won't Get Fooled Again

"Foreman" of Cabinet Shop decided to churchify/warble/belt out/ruin it loudly - We cranked it louder & told him to S.T.F.U.. Over and over and . . . to no avail.

"They're a-uh-a-lll-uh-lll w-a-s-t-e-uh-e-uh-e-d-d!"

There were (and I'm certain, remain) plenty of (Read: All) volunteers to put innumerable power tools to good use.

Why is it that radio stations think you want to hear the same tired stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!!!!!!!

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR EVER AGAIN
Baker Street - Jerry Rafferty
Lovely Day - Bill Withers
The Pina Colada Song - Rupert Holmes
Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold
My Boy Lollipop - Millie
I Feel Good - James Brown

AND countless others that I could bore you with.................

ADD YOUR "FAVOURITE" I NEVER WANT TO HEAR AGAIN SONG - HERE!

Why is it that radio stations think you want to hear the same tired stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!!!!!!!

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR EVER AGAIN
Baker Street - Jerry Rafferty
Lovely Day - Bill Withers
The Pina Colada Song - Rupert Holmes
Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold
My Boy Lollipop - Millie
I Feel Good - James Brown

AND countless others that I could bore you with.................

ADD YOUR "FAVOURITE" I NEVER WANT TO HEAR AGAIN SONG - HERE!

Back when it was released, *The* most wretched thing kept playing - asked "practice wife" what it was & by whom & got on phone. Long story short, teeny-boppers.

I told 'em to put some heavier material from Physical Graffiti each time they played . . . Kiss - by Prince. When that didn't fly, mentioned Ex-GF - she was also a DJ in same town, though different genre - but known to come through. Long story short again, LZ got it's PG just due that W/E.

Music should be cherished like a precious gift from the gods in a once a month ritual, not beated out repeatedly on a daily basis.

I disagree. I have had some music playing for part of the day on most days for the last 65 years or so. It's part of my life, and I don't wish it any other way. My mother listened to pop radio from before my birth until "the druggies took over the radio" in the 70's.

Favorite songs, albums or bands come and go, and some often return to favorite status while others fade away to some dark and dusty space inside my brain. Sometimes there is a trigger that will spark up memory of a song from my childhood which may return strong enough for me to remember lyrics from a 60 year old song. Sometimes only a few notes or words will appear, but that can usually be fixed with Google or Amazon's help.

Yes, there are songs that can best be forgotten forever, but those are the very small minority. I have never ruined a song for myself, but there are songs that were born ruined.......

So, for anybody other than a Cleveland Browns fan......Who Let The Dogs Out.....woof woof.

YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.