• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Ruby Tuesdays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ruby tubes are relabeled Chinese or Russian tubes. They may pre-screen or test their tubes. I have seen both Russian and Chinese tubes with the Ruby label on them, so you don't really know what you are getting. They are marketing their tubes toward the guitar amp market, and at one time I saw an ad that proclaimed "Carlos Santana uses Ruby tubes." I have a pair of Ruby 6L6GC's that are Chinese Shuguangs. They were removed from a Bandmaster because the owner wanted to try something different. I have used them in all of my 6L6GC experiments where they have been subjected to some extreme overload, and they are still cranking along after 3 years.

You can probably find the exact same tube somewhere without the Ruby name for a cheaper price.

I've put a Ruby Tubes 12AX into a Fender Super Champ XD. It improved the sound, taking away some of the harshness of the stock 12AX7. Probably, yes, you could find the same exact tube from the original manufacturer a bit cheaper. I'd buy from them again, or I'd do a bunch of research on user reviews and then I'd buy from a reputable source for the OEM part.

I look at it as paying the premium for them to do the testing and matching of the tubes. I've not heard a bad review of their product, but you do pay a bit more for their service.

Ruby, like Valve Art, Groove Tubes, and many others, simply stamp their label on one of the current tube factory's output. All of the Ruby tubes I have seen are Shuguang. Same with Valve Art. Shuguang are hit-or-miss, but are much better than they used to be.

If you give more information about which tubes you are looking at, maybe you'll get some more specific recommendations.

Just asking and wanting some GENERAL feedback about them Russ-
Kind of figured they were Shuguang. But wanted to know for sure. I have stock 'factory' EL34's in one of our 4 year old 202A's and thought the prices for them @ Parts-Express were very reasonable when looking around for some possible recession buster replacement prices.

Well IN GENERAL ;), Shuguang's quality has improved over the years. They used to be famous for early tube failure due to build quality issues and marginal designs. I remember their beam tubes being referred to as firecrackers and I did see a pair of KT-88s sparkle from loose bits of cathode coating in there. The only failure I've had are an entire quad of 6V6GTs in my Thomas amp. Finding a new production 6V6 that could tolerate well over 300V on the plate was a challenge back then. The EH came out and solved that, but I had to use NOS at the time.

I have a set of Valve Art EL34s and they sound very good. They have an oversized bottle compared to "normal" EL34s. I've had no issues with them. I've also used their 5AR4s without issue in smaller amps.

Ruby tubes are not just luck of the draw, nor are they whatever is popular this week. it is not a secret they rebrand tubes. The letters they add tell of the tube's origin. There is no "Ruby Tube" of a type, they sell several - your choice, not random.

In the current catalog:
12AX7A are available either in several selected grades from the Chinese factory, and also "Tesla/JJ."

Their 6L6 offerings include:
6L6GCMSTR - their Chinese tube
5881R - SOvtek
5881WXT+ - Sovtek
6L6GCEH - from EH
6L6GCC - "Winged C" Svetlanas
6L6GCCZ - JJs

In general, a CZ added means JJ, EH is self explanatory, C tends to mean Chinese. Y used to mean EI tubes, but I don;t see them in the current listing.

I have purchased Ruby branded tubes of various types for my shop for years, and have always had good service from the company and the tubes. I purchase tubes elsewhere as well. I sometimes find Ruby tubes cheaper elsewher than direct from Ruby.

I can buy untested bulk tubes from them, but I only buy matched sets of power tubes, so they are tested and characterized. Likewise the graded dual triodes are also tested and characterized. That is more important to me than saving a few cents each or a dollar. But you can find the same tubes elsewhere, yes.

Rockmore said:
Rock on you guitar amp guys...

Was wondering from any higher end home stereo amp experts here
about the Ruby's in the same (not guitar amps..)

I recently replaced 2 - Quads of Ruby EL34's with 6CA7's.
Huge difference in sound quality. The EH 6CA7's were so much better sounding and not even broken in.
I'd say them Ruby's were for guitarists.

In general, a CZ added means JJ, EH is self explanatory, C tends to mean Chinese. Y used to mean EI tubes

This may apply to their current offerings, but not the older tubes. In fact the origins of most of their current tubes are clearly noted in their ad copy. I have a pair of Ruby 6L6GC's that are Chinese, and a pair of 6L6GC's that are of Russian origin. These are both marked 6L6GC. I must say that I have had both pairs for at least 5 years and they were rescued from guitar amps when I got them, so I don't know the true age.

Tubelab may be a guitar amp guy

True, I have built dozens of guitar amps in the past, and I started out making guitar amps out of old TV sets in the 1960's, but I haven't built any in a long time. Too long. In the past 10 years I have been building HiFi amps, and mostly SE ones at that.

The Ruby tubes that I have, have never seen a guitar amp since they were plucked out of their original homes. They have been tested in several HiFi amps and bench experiments because they were free, so I wouldn't cry too much if they blew up.

I liked the Chinese versions so much that I hunted down the Shuguang "Coke bottle" versions on Ebay (for $3 each) and bought a few. They are remarkedly tough tubes, but lack the clarity and finesse of say RCA or Sylvania 6L6GC's (which cost way too much money today). The Rubys are exactly the same as the generic Chinese tubes, but the Rubys are tested and guaranteed, and the Ebay stuff isn't.

The Russian versions are the same tube as some generic Russian tubes that I bought on Ebay about 10 years ago. Again the same cautions apply to the generic versions.

There are other tube relablers out there that perform the same screening, testing, burn-in and matching services, for a mark up over the price of the generic versions. Fender, Groove Tubes and Ruby do this for the guitar amp market. There are resselers that do this for the HiFi market as well. The Tube Center's "perfect pair" come to mind.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I purchased significant quantities of tubes from Ruby when I was running my business. I found them extremely congenial to deal with and they really stood behind their product. These tubes went into hifi gear, (repairs and new product) and because of their screening process I had no problems with any of the tubes I purchased from them - pain free and a no brainer for someone in business. In quantity they were far from the most expensive option open to me, and as I said I really liked the way they treated me.

As several people have pointed out they sell product from a variety of different sources and have always disclosed where the tubes they were selling came from.

Based on prior experience I would certainly recommend them.

Tubelab, the tubes themselves would only be marked 6L6GC regardless of origin because that is what they are - 6L6GC. The extra letters are on the box and in the catalog. SO if you order a RUby 6L6GCCZ, you get JJ tubes, but when you get them, only the 6L6GC will be printed on the tube. 6L6GCCZ is a stock number at Ruby.

Of course if one is not ordering new tubes, the catalog is no help. If someone handed you some tubes, you;d have to know what you were looking at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.