RSS315 as woofer with 700-800 hz crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How high can I filter the RSS315 subwoofer? I try to make a 3-way system RSS315, RS52FN and RT2C-A. The simulator tells me that I can easily filter up to 800 Hz, but I am concerned about the performance of the RSS315 operating up to 700-800 Hz. Especially I wonder if it will be musical. Thank you all

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
A good 12" driver should have no problems at the frequencies you mention. Some dedicated subwoofers can have issues if they haven't had their higher frequencies refined due to their not being expected to be used there, but I have not used this particular one.

Thanks, the beaming start at 343/(diameter driver in meters), at 12 inchs is 1143 hz.
RSS315offaxis.jpg

Most subs have pretty savage breakup peaks and high inductance which usually equals pretty mediocre midrange distortion.

Zaph tested an RSS210 (link) and as you can see its breakup is pretty apparent in the harmonic distortion.

For the RSS315 since the breakup is at about 1.8kHz, to avoid harmonic distortion up to 5th order you should probably not cross higher than 1.8kHz/5 = 360Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.