Rotary off-on switch for mains power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building an amp and like the symmetry of having the volume knob on one end of the amp, and hoping to use a rotary switch for turning the amp off and on, on the other end. I have no experience with rotary switches, and was curious if any 2 pole, 2 position switch with a proper voltage rating would be suitable to this application? I was also curious if there are any disadvantages or risks in using a rotary switch for mains power? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A lot depends on the transformer you intend to switch. Large toroids can generate significant arcing as the contacts close and open.

You could always use a small switch to control a triac and so do it that way. Have a look at the PSU in Nelson Pass's A75 which does just that.

Both the lorlin and nkk switches look like they could work, I've come across a few other ones too that claim to be rated for mains voltage. I guess I'm curious if it would still be wise to take additional measures to protect the contacts from arcing, such as using a triac, or relay, and protecting the contacts with varistors. The pass a75 idea looks really solid, but i was just hoping to get away with something a bit simpler if possible. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.