Rosetta Comet landing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And this was intended to be a celebratory thread - but then I guess that any sentient being discerning the arc of our "progress" might well conclude that the dystopian visions of popular literature / entertainment are optimistic in regards to the survival of our race

But a helluva piece of work this project represents

And this was intended to be a celebratory thread - but then I guess that any sentient being discerning the arc of our "progress" might well conclude that the dystopian visions of popular literature / entertainment are optimistic in regards to the survival of our race

But a helluva piece of work this project represents

Haha.

Well it seemed like the perfect place to discuss it

I'll stop now. But its a topic that fits this one. If we don't learn how to take care of ourselves on earth then should we have the power to populate other worlds?

Carl Sagan and others talked extensivley about the Environment I don't see how or why the same topic that they brought up cannot be expressed here too.

Last edited:
I think the Greeks had a word for it - Hubris although for humankind writ large, let's overlook the sexual connotations, shall we Jian?

And when had lacking the moral high ground ever prevented our imperialistic, rapacious nature from being exhibited?

When other intelligent life forms stumble across the archeological artifacts on this wet grain of sand, and those scattershot through local neighbourhood of a "space" much larger than "we" will probably ever comprehend, I can imagine their puzzlement

Perhaps it's self- delusion, but if think it's more than just dyspepsia speaking here

Last edited:
I can imagine their puzzlement

Nah, they'll have seen it plenty of times.

Speaking of Sagan, do you recall his calculations for how many advanced civilizations in the galaxy? One factor was how many civilizations get past the early stages of their age of technology. We almost toasted ourselves in '61. (not me, I had a fallout shelter in the backyard;)). Now we might carbonize the atmosphere. I'm betting it's a common problem (if life is common in the universe).

For 3.5 billion years it's been a good thing (for survival) to be greedy and aggressive. Its in our dna. Now we have to unlearn that quick if we're to survive.

Hi,

one can only marvel at the amount of effort, courage and esteem of those who thought that mission, initiated it and pursued it till today.
Just think about DIY.
There's this tiny little black needle in the haystack, hardly detectable at all, speeding at nearly 70.000km/h in deep space, about three times farther away than our sun.
To get there You need to increase the speed of your test probe by precisely approaching and circling earth three times and Mars once.
This will require a distance of travel of 6.500.000.000km, six-point-five-Billion-kilometers
That is approximately 22.000 times the distance to the moon or 160.000 times circling the earth.
Just to meet a irregular shaped piece of materia, so low on gravitational force that a child hopping happily around would leave that object forever.
Besides the huge amount of cost, would You have dared to start that project?

If Mr. Ulamec, Philae's lander Manager, is right, the probe touched down not just once, but twice.
Let's just hope that lil' Philae can proceed with the intended experiments.
I'd love to see some results, like water and amino acids.
That'd smack the face of those religious bigots down here (especially those perverted creatures, calling themselves "western education is sin", Boko Harum, and killing children who are going to school. Or Isis, or George W. Bush to name a few)

Anyway, the Rosetta-Philae mission is a huge success and a marvellous achievement.

jauu
Calvin

I question the green-ness of Lithium Ion when a NiCD battery (whcih contains toxic cadmium) lasts for 10+ years.

A NiCad battery will only last 10 years under ideal circumstances. They will be at half capacity by year one or two, then slowly decline after that, UNLESS they are left unused for a few months, then dendridic growth (Cadmium whiskers) will kill them.

A NiMH is better, but a high self discharge rate makes them useless for most phone applications.

Lithium ion is ideal for phones cameras, and other applications that require low battery ESR. Long term unuse does not usually kill them if stored CHARGED.

Lithium polymer is a good light weight, but potentially unstable battery tech. If allowed to fully discharge, the battery can and WILL spontaneously combust....This laptop is powered by lithium polymer.

Lithium Ferric Phosphate is so far the best of the lithium technologies available for DIY. It is stable, lasts up to 5000 charges, and doesn't catch fire. It is not light weight though.

Note, I was a cell phone development engineer for 5 years. I evaluated battery tech for cell phones. Lithium Ferric Phosphate (LiFePo4) was not available then, but I researched it and chose it for a portable recording studio that I am currently building.....Too many spontaneous fires in the model airplane industry related to lithium polymer (LIPO)

Calvin, the narrow minded will never see what is in front of them. They choose not to see.

WRT Cell phones, I'm still using my Samsung SCH-M282C after three years. However it is now reporting out of storage space issues and looks like I can't use the SD Card for apps so I may be forced to retire it soon.

One problem with cell phones is typical of technology. After a few years you can't load the new apps due to system limitations (the only apps I've loaded are OBDII and NEST). Google store and the rest of the requirements to do the downloads eat up the rest of the space.

While the latest jingle will be added to a cellphone, real utilities like the ability to link to a computer via usb and archive an app which one could then load again later without paying for it again will not be added.

The earth has enough lifespan remaining, that in case we screw up as a civilization there will be a chance for another life form to try again in another million years.

For 3.5 billion years it's been a good thing (for survival) to be greedy and aggressive. Its in our dna. Now we have to unlearn that quick if we're to survive.
And that of course is the heart of the problem ... unlearning it can't be done overnight, things will remain messy until the message seeps into sufficient skulls, so that the collective momentum of that different way of thinking then starts to dominate the agenda ...

The earth has enough lifespan remaining
Billions of years
that in case we screw up as a civilization
We are on that course.
there will be a chance for another life form to try again
Hopefully they will do better.
in another million years.
I hear that 150,000 years after we are gone, all the damage we have created will be gone. A rather sobering thought. Same amount of time to fix as it took to cause.

).

Not at all: We got this far by trusting each other. Things go to hell when we stop doing that. We do really well when we trust in each others' reason. There is no point in saying, for example, we have to be "fair", we have to judge what is the right thing to do. And that sometimes requires listening to a lot of offensive nonsense.

>We got this far by trusting each other.

You're absolutely right. That's where humanity's high points come from. And most of the people I know (at least choose to associate with) are kind, compassionate, thoughtful, cooperative, etc. But our corporate and governmental leaders act like greedy warmongers.

And maybe if we can succeed at something like Rosetta, it gives a little hope we can solve problems here.

Power supply problems with Philae, let's come up with some mods.

Here's a good documentary on the mission Video: Exclusive Online Premiere | Watch To Catch A Comet Online | PBS Video maybe not available outside US.

A NiCad battery will only last 10 years under ideal circumstances. They will be at half capacity by year one or two, then slowly decline after that, UNLESS they are left unused for a few months, then dendridic growth (Cadmium whiskers) will kill them.

You're quoting information which 5 years ago I would've thought was gospel but after reading further into it and having my own experience with NiCD its not entirely true.

http://books.google.se/books?id=QCgDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA115&dq=history%20of%20nickel%20cadmium%20battery%20popular%20science&pg=PA115#v=onepage&q=history%20of%20nickel%20cadmium%20battery%20popular%20science&f=false

Scroll up a few pages.

"at half capacity by year one or two" is just so wrong it isn't funny.

The NiCD batteries in Hospital X-Ray machines and Trams, airplanes, trucks, boats, submarines, they didn't get replaced after 10 years, they were still operating after 50 in situations where 50% DoD (Depth of Discharge) was assumed as the norm.

I've also never come across any memory issues or ever had to discharge a cell to regain lost capacity. I think that a battery type has never been so demonized as NiCD has been, they are PERFECT for use as Starter Batteries for cars, trams, diesel locomotives, motorbikes, but nobody uses them because Flooded Lead Acid has been the norm.

But what is more destructive to the environment? A NiCD which lasts for a decade or a Flooded Lead Acid which lasts for 5 years? Lead vs Cadmium.

Now add a stereo system to that Lead Acid battery and its killed within 2 years and rarely recycled properly.
Add a stereo system to a NiCD and I doubt it would have such issue with a strong DoD.

Look into the history of NiCD, it WAS far far more resiliant than anything else out there, the only battery technology that tops it is Nickel Iron and that is topped only by Lithium Iron cells..

I wonder how long it takes for the capacity of a modern Lithium Iron cell to drop due to thermal stresses on the cell. To me experience tells me that its about 18 months before it reaches 60% of capacity loss. Especially when you combine it with constant cycling.

The cheaply made NiCD rechargables that you remember were just that, cheap. And they were and still are beaten to death at every chance they can get. But if you buy good quality Sanyo Cadnica NiCDs they can last a suprisingly long time and don't lose significant amounts of capacity due to age.

I agree that NiCD has no place in Laptops/phones but in a cordless phone it lasts forever, in a car it would last for a long time and goodness knows how many other applications its been passed over for. The portable power drill would have to be the best application of NiCD that I've seen so far, its cheap so it can be put in budget drills and it has enough capacity and low enough resistance to pack a serious punch.

Oh yeah the Military was still using NiCD up until the late 90s. I didn't hear of any complaints from there.

It sure as hell has earned a good reputation in Satellites. Despite apparent memory effect (this is where the memory effect myth comes from), this I think however is because of the strict period of charge and discharge that is done every single day for the lifetime of the Satellite when it is in orbit.

The memory effect is the biggest lie that has ever been sold to the public when batteries are concerned, there was evidence in Satellite applications of this occuring and EVERYBODY PANICKED LIKE CRAZY whenever they saw a NiCD cell. "I've gotta discharge it or else I'll get that dreaded memory effect!" then a few years later "oh no! those stupid NiCD cells have died on me!" Well duh you've been discharging it to death.

This ******** has even gone so far as to be implemented in battery chargers. Whenever it detects a NiCD cell it discharges it first before recharging. Silly!

A NiMH is better, but a high self discharge rate makes them useless for most phone applications.
Better for capacity but as for charge speeds and discharge rates its pretty close to NiCD but not as good.

Lithium ion is ideal for phones cameras, and other applications that require low battery ESR. Long term unuse does not usually kill them if stored CHARGED.
Or away from heaters. They love temps as near as possible to 25c.

Lithium polymer is a good light weight, but potentially unstable battery tech. If allowed to fully discharge, the battery can and WILL spontaneously combust....This laptop is powered by lithium polymer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f30fBFitkSM

Tell me about it, but that has been fixed by moving away from Lithium Ion Colbalt cells, which is a trend which has been happening in the last 5 years.

Types of Lithium-ion Batteries ? Battery University

Cobalt cells are down right dangerous to use in any situation.

Lithium Ferric Phosphate is so far the best of the lithium technologies available for DIY. It is stable, lasts up to 5000 charges, and doesn't catch fire. It is not light weight though.
Interesting Thanks for this information. I would've put my money on LiFePo4 though.

Note, I was a cell phone development engineer for 5 years. I evaluated battery tech for cell phones. Lithium Ferric Phosphate (LiFePo4) was not available then, but I researched it and chose it for a portable recording studio that I am currently building.....Too many spontaneous fires in the model airplane industry related to lithium polymer (LIPO)
Ahh, say no more. ;)

Last edited:
A little known fact is that Lithium while good for us here in the Western world is disastrous and is perpetuating a slave trade overseas. and cadmium comes up out of the ground as does Zinc and every other toxic mineral, but because we've stopped using Cadmium we're letting it go to waste overseas.

Its not like you can pick and choose what minerals magically pop up out of the ground and leave the ones you don't need in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DaXNiBQLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf9UKhZ5I_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcV7uSkdVQ

When are we going to slow down the consumption of wasteful technology and start buying into more sustainable technology?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium#Production

Meanwhile I pickup my trusty 10 year old power drill and make holes running on NiCD no problems. And use my 3000mAh 3v (2x Sanyo Cadnica C Cells) 2C Maglite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium#Batteries

As a consequence, cadmium is produced mainly as a byproduct from mining, smelting, and refining sulfidic ores of zinc, and, to a lesser degree, lead and copper. Small amounts of cadmium, about 10% of consumption, are produced from secondary sources, mainly from dust generated by recycling iron and steel scrap. Production in the United States began in 1907,[14] but it was not until after World War I that cadmium came into wide use.[22][23] One place where metallic cadmium can be found is the Vilyuy River basin in Siberia.[24] Rocks mined to produce phosphate fertilizers contain varying amounts of cadmium, leading to a cadmium concentration of up to 300 mg/kg in the produced phosphate fertilizers and thus in the high cadmium content in agricultural soils.[25][26] Coal can contain significant amounts of cadmium, which ends up mostly in the flue dust.
So much for all of that hoo-haa about Cadmium batteries being dangerous and toxic to nature/human health.

I guess they had better add it to the list of ingredients in a bowl of cereal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertilizer#Phosphates

All phosphates are obtained by extraction from minerals containing the anion PO43-. In rare cases, fields are treated with the crushed mineral, but most often more soluble salts are produced by chemical treatment of phosphate minerals. The most popular phosphate-containing minerals are referred to collectively as phosphate rock.
Thank goodness its only a rare occurance!

I wonder where all of the extracted Cadmium goes?

Just wait till I tell you where they're putting Fluoride...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.