Room treatments - diffusion & absorption...

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok folks, I've sold the farm on a new audio system that should take me as close to "reference" as my meager income is going to allow for some time.

But, as is usual with upgrades, they highlight problems and shortcomings in other areas.

As the link above will show, I've got annoying/serious room mode problems that are blurring the refined sound I should be getting. Soundwise, I have a wide and expansive soundstage, but little or no depth to the image. Things are just a little better than one dimensional. I attribute this to room reflections and resonances.

Next, I have several very strong peaks in frequencies. Using Real Traps free Test Tone CD (download & burn), 27-38Hz has a big boost. Also, the 70-80Hz range and another in the 90's.

Some of this was predicted with JBL/Harmon's free Room Mode Calculator, specifically the 38, 71, and 74Hz peaks.

I need to DIY a diffusion and absorption solution that will not turn my living room into an ugly recording studio(domestic reasons). That puts normal panels and diffusors out of the question.

I was hoping to find a way to make a comparable panel RPG Diffuser Systems BAD Panel , which is both an absorber of low frequencies and a diffuser of mid to high frequencies.

Like most absorptive panels, it is simply common one to four inch thick Owens-Corning rigid fiberglass(named 701, 703, & 705) covered with Guildford FR701 fabric or any other resonably porous fabric.

The diffuser attribute comes from a semi-refletive surface added to the fiberglass panel. Normally, people just get the FRK(Foil Reinforced Kraft paper) fiberglass which is that common foil sheeting often seen. The problem with that is that it directly relfects mids/highs and can sound a little "tizzy".

To combat this, RPG BAD panels have a similar reflective "grating" that features hundreds of small holes in a "binary pattern" allowing some waves to pass through the skin, others reflected and diffused.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, this long-winded monoloque is to ask if anyone knows a way to have thin plastic sheeting rolls(rather than grating) made with this type of repeating pattern of holes in it?

I could easily replace the drywall on the walls behind and beside my speakers with 4'x8'x1.5" panels of something like this without much problem. Behind the panels, in between the studs, I could simply place sections of 4" thick rigid fiberglass insulation to further absorb/attenuate the lowest frequencies.

Any suggestions?
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.