RohS lead free soldering

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
<just back from Arab nations>.....When I compare the environmental wastage from all the plastic PET bottles and rubbish piled up around the beaches and landscape in the middle east, I wonder why our misguided politicians and green party crackpots so obsessed with safety requirements and conformity haven't grappled this waste plastics problem first. This environmental blight is far worse than anything not concerning lead products and it stays around for years.
The fault lies with those countries which don't have a serious environmental policy aspect but it seems so silly to manufacture in one country and then dump in another.
.... Completely :mad: and Out of perspective ? YES.

richj:

Eva said:

Believe it or not Sn99.3/Cu0.7 is the alloy that politicians (and their friends at big companies) expect us to use now in Europe, as it's priced similarly to 63/37 or 60/40 and it's the only one widely available to the date, as opposed to others, like Sn96.5/Ag3/Cu0.5, that cost three times more and are quite hard to find. Furthermore, when you order/ask for the classic 63/37 or 60/40, they give/send you the 99.3/0.7 replacement instead, without even asking!!! It seems like nobody is informed!

The 99.3/0.7 melts at 227 ºC, 34 ºC higher than the usual 63/37, and even the ultra-expensive Sn96.5/Ag3/Cu0.5 melts at 217ºC so it's not a great improvement. Furthermore, the oviously poor mechanical properties of these alloys are conveniently left out of every data table that I have seen to the date.

Also, if the useful life of a solder tip is halved each time temperature is increased by 10ºC, how much are the tips going to last now? (Simple math tells at least 10 times less).
Most people are very confused when it comes to using the newer high temp stuff, I certainly agree with you on that.

I use tin silver because of it's higher strength capability. I use it for all joints which will be subjected to cryogenic operation, either liquid nitrogen or liquid helium. The joints range from #40 awg copper all the way to 10 inch long half inch wide joints of super cable. So far, with in excess of 20 thousand joints, and temp cycling for the last 5 years, only one solder joint failed. It turned out to be a joint that was not done properly nor inspected.

With proper flux, cleaning, and heating, the joints will not be poor, it just takes time, teaching, and methods to do it right.

We haven't found tips are destroyed with the required temperatures, although your "halved every ten degrees" in definitely correct with respect to most processes. I have found that cleaning the tip with a abrasive material will certainly kill the cladding of the tip, then it's downhill from there.

Cheers, John

mzzj said:

I dont know about spain, but for example Farnell has truckload of different Sn-Ag-Cu varieties availlable at 30 euros per 0.5kg spool. (Sn-Cu is apprx 20 euros per spool as well as Sn-37Pb)

I have just ordered 2.5kg of 60/40 for less than 70 euro (incl. taxes) for my friend the car-audio installer. If you do the math, it's nearly three times cheaper than Sn-Ag-Cu. Previously he was buying 63/37 at less than 8 euro per 250g.

Also, if you look at Farnell catalog, you will see that Sn99.3/Cu0.7 is by far the most frequent product (together with 60/40), while they appear to no longer sell 63/37.

Fear not EVA,

I will send you 63/37 disguised as magnet wire... for a small fee.

Seriously though... look at the regulations for RoHS (carefully)... industrial, and critical electronics are largely immune. They are after the mass produced consumer junk and building materials for the most part.

I don't really agree with it, I think we should all build things that endure... and recycle thoughfully, but that is just me.

:D

I've noticed when soldering silver plated valve holder tags with Pb free solder it doesn't take so well when compared to standard tin-on-brass plated cum steel tags.. ...Silver plate is quick to oxidise in the extra heat and it seems the flux of this new stuff isn't as effective in breaking this up when compared to standard 60 Sn/40Pb Ersin and Kolophonium fluxes.

When soldering valve/tube sockets, I have to use a lower temperature to get a good bond or start with standard 60/40.

richj

richwalters said:
Silver plate is quick to oxidise in the extra heat and it seems the flux of this new stuff isn't as effective in breaking this up

richj
Try multicore Arax flux ;) You need to wash your solder joints with hot water afterwards, but this flux works. (exept if you try to solder plastic spoon to wooden table) :) I use it for NiCd cells and other hard-to solder stuff.

Actually Dave,

There is a big scramble for big silicon going right now... seems wafer stock is really tight right now. Anyway... I had to buy some RoHS parts becuase that's all that was available. They are tin rather than solder plated... they work just fine with lead based solder... couldn't tell the difference.

;)

just had my hands at this stuff, not good.

and should you be so stupid as to try lead free solder on leadsolder joints, it actually reacts explosivly. dunno if this was some wierd sideeffect of the stuff we tried at school, but nevertheless.

i have 1kg of lead solder, hope it'l outlast me.
i dont solder that much.

demogorgon said:
and should you be so stupid as to try lead free solder on leadsolder joints, it actually reacts explosivly. dunno if this was some wierd sideeffect of the stuff we tried at school, but nevertheless.

The alloy constituents were not the cause of an explosion.

Look for another explanation.

I have worked with and mixed alloys containing lead, tin, bismuth, indium, gold, antimony, copper, silicon, germanium, silver,..no explosions.

Cheers, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.