Rohde & Schwarz UPV Audio Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is a concept called "feature paralysis", describing a device so loaded with features nobody can figure out how to use it. It is not unreasonable to expect a description of how to access basic operating functions in a machine, no matter how complex and/or sophisticated.
Old HP instruments were notorious for their convoluted user interfaces. I have one of their older 500MHz digital scopes, and I swear I have to dig out the manual to figure out how to do something as simple as saving a waveform to the internal floppy.

Yokogawa got things mostly right with their digital scopes - a reasonably savvy engineer can suss out the basic function in ~15 minutes or so, even without the manual.

+1 on Yokogawa
For the usage complexity try LeCroy scope...
Many people remember AP by its DOS software, but that was improved later. Newer APs are way batter and it seems like with simple and very intuitive interface. As for not having knob to adjust voltage or frequency, I completely agree with John.

Gents,

I'll just state the un-obvious here.

The most difficult task that man has IS to keep it simple.

the best manuals,
the best text books,
the best references,
the best cook books,
the best hardware,
the best software,
the best circuits,

...they all share in their commonality of keeping it simple,
of finding the things you need to know quickly with out a
lot of BS, in a logical place when we look for it, it is there.

If you notice it, it needs improvement.

A non-example of simplicity that I know is the Windows 8.x operating system. It's a mess, if any of you have tried it you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't used it, I suggest you try at the local best buy or
other store.

An example of simplicity is a Fender music instrument amp
of the 1960s. Open it up, if you've never seen one before, you can
probably tell from looking at the circuit how it would work.

Voltage dividers are made like a V. Power filters are located
outside the main circuit board and centered for about the
shortest length and slightest noise to the circuit, with
it's own EM cover. Everything it just laid out logically
for the tech and for the musician.

Great engineering also has to think about the guy or gal
who has to use the thing.

Too bad AP didn't do it, at least that is what I hear.
I've never had the opportunity to use one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.