rod elliot p88 preamp knob arrangment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
guys i'm a huge fan and lover of elliot sound products. built 2 mono p101 power amps 2 years ago and they are like no other i have ever seen or heard.i had a macintosh 2505 and after enough time to burn in they were better then the mac.
not my words but friends that were shocked when they found out it was the p101 they were listening to.
anyway, in deep into a p88 preamp build now. if you could would any of you look at the 3 pics of the knobs for the preamp and let me know what you think looks best?
i'm having a time nailing it down. thanks

arrangement #1
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

arrangement # 2

http://
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

arrangement # 3

http://

sorry guys i should have mentioned that
starting from left to right will be balance- volume- source selector. i like #2 sometimes
but when i think of the b-v-s, # 3 looks good to have the volume in center with large knob.
but for the look #2 comes back into play. see my issue

I vote for config. 3. I feel that the largest knob should be for the control used most frequenctly, which usually is the volume control. However, If it were possible, my true preference would be an alternate configuration altogether. From left to right, the source selector (small knob), the balance comtrol (small knob), the volume control (large knob) - assuming you are right handed. If you are left handed, then a mirror reverse this configuration.

Well from an engineering standpoint the largest knob should be for volume control it being bigger will give more precise control. That being said you can move your pots and switches around. My opinion is larger volume in the middle but then that is my desire for symmetry which is not artistic by nature. Not to be politically incorrect (in case you are of the female persuasion) nice knobs, where you get them? Like your casework clean, I am taking autocad and am looking for someone who can NC cut and bend metal so I can make a few standard bases and mill front and back panels. By the way the tight mesh on your amp covers does not provide much air flow, I played with some of that stuff covering a class A amp and varied the material from smaller to larger openings and measured the convection cooling and you have to get up to about 1/4" before you see any change, but it looks nice all the same. Good luck.

Bill

Joined 2010
Paid Member
However, If it were possible, my true preference would be an alternate configuration altogether. From left to right, the source selector (small knob), the balance comtrol (small knob), the volume control (large knob) - assuming you are right handed. If you are left handed, then a mirror reverse this configuration.

Agree, if you could move gain (volume) to the right, as the large knob, would strike me as the most attractive. But then, I like asymmetry ...

What opamps are you using in the circuit? I used ad825 and the sound blows my mind!
thanks guys
i'm not that far yet, i haven't ordered the electronics yet.
the ad825 i will have to check that out.i had planed on a burr brown model.
did you build a p88? what are thoughts on it?
thanks very much guys for your ideas on the knobs. i just got in 2 shaft extensions so work to go on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.