Rockford T1000.5

Joined 2024
Paid Member
Hi I have a Rockford T1000.5. I has no output, it powers up but makes a buzzing noise and all the clip lights are flashing. I checked all the fets and no issues. I found a 1uf capacitor with a hole blown in it. I removed it from the circuit and I’m waiting for replacement to arrive. I checked the square wave on the ps fet and it start off fine for two seconds then it turns to the monstrosity in the photos. Im thinking there is an issue with the drive IC. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    760.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1480.jpeg
    IMG_1480.jpeg
    773.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    458.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 34
Joined 2024
Paid Member
Yes it has four 2092 drivers.
Pretty sure it’s a bd amp for the sub channel
I used the same reference point when I measured the voltages.(amp ground)
I found two TL072 op amps near the rca input section. The power supply pins read 6.4 volts.
On a side note the screeching noise is coming from the power supply transformer.

Joined 2024
Paid Member
I measured 2 of the tl072s. They read identical +6.4 on pin 8 and -7.1 on pin 4

I lowered the voltage and attached a photo of the waveform. I’m not familiar with this waveform, not sure if it’s normal.

The drive ic is uc3526adw.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 13
Joined 2024
Paid Member
I lowered the voltage until it turned off. I turned up the voltage it came back on around 10 volts. It had a squarish waveform and no noise for a second. As soon as the waveform changed the transformer started screeching.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 17
Joined 2024
Paid Member
Set it to 5v and 10us. The frequency is 30 when it’s a square wave.

I’m not sure what part of the circuit it came from. The components are absolutely crammed on this board. It was between a vertical board and an inductor.

I’ll have the capacitor in a few days I’ll install it and let you know how it goes. I appreciate the help as always.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 20
30k is much better.

It's likely part of the output filter, possibly connected across the subwoofer speaker terminals.

If that's how it'a being used, the output filter inductor may be intermittently shorted. If the cap is being used in that way and it blows again, you will need to find where it's shorted or rewind it with new wire.

Joined 2024
Paid Member
I clamped everything back in and moved the inductor and no fluctuations. I did make a mistake with the thermal pads, I cleaned them and applied new thermal paste. I was not aware that Rockford uses thermal pads that are conductive on one side. I installed them backwards by mistake. Took me an hour of head scratching before I figured it out. Everything is working good now.