Rocket Science

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Watching Mythbusters (best thing on teev at the moment) attempt to make rockets to launch a chair & 'Chinese philosopher' last night, they couldn't get enough exhaust pressure; when they called in the rocket experts, pressure was increased by inserting a nozzle, in this case a simple annulus.

It occurred to me that this is part of what Karlson Wings do, increase SPL by restricting the exit area, and thought it may have other applications in audio, say restricting the front of a driver with a cone that has a slot at the exit? There’s probably a price to pay in increased distortion? (May not be great for ‘Hi Fi’, but could help the Car Audio comp nuts increase their SPL? ).
It's probably able to be modelled by fluid dynamics equations.

Pete McK

PeteMcK said:
It occurred to me that this is part of what Karlson Wings do, increase SPL by restricting the exit area, and thought it may have other applications in audio, say restricting the front of a driver with a cone that has a slot at the exit? There’s probably a price to pay in increased distortion? (May not be great for ‘Hi Fi’, but could help the Car Audio comp nuts increase their SPL? ).

Put your hands around your mouth and talk loud.
That's how it will sound.:D

Btw I saw that program. The chair blew up in pieces, it didn't go up.
It's not that easy to make a rocket, specially with a chair.:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.