Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like audiophile equipment...

But it turns out that the consensus cost estimate is aspirational. This is according to Oliver Cameron, who runs the self-driving car team at Udacity, the Silicon Valley technology training startup founded by Sebastian Thrun, lead developer of Google’s pioneering self-driving car. Udacity has become intimately familiar with the cost of autonomous equipment as the company has built its own self-driving car as part of an engineer-training course, Cameron said...

Now we come to the car itself. Uber, for example, is driving around a $50,000 Volvo XC90. “So you are looking at around $300,000 all-in,” Cameron said.

I can't think of a better way to save 35,000+ lives in the US alone every year! As a bonus, think of all of the highway traffic that will go away at construction zones and when a self-driving car doesn't rubber neck at accidents on the other side of the median...

We've all been on a relatively empty highway moving along at 75+ MPH only to have traffic come to a DEAD stop when two largely empty lanes of traffic merge into one lane. Human driving behavior sucks and self-driving cars can't get here fast enough for me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
This was posted on another thread but I forgot its mainly ontopic only on this thread.

The capabilities of human beings are wildly exaggerated.

And with the eventual completion of development of advanced artificial intelligence, we are also obsolete. Including our enjoyment of and production of music.

There is something to be said about being amish, at least when you are amish you never have the threat of artificial intelligence becoming hostile.

I've never seen a milk churn try to attack me.

There is also something to be said to be holding onto old silicon chips like CPUs, from current era chips, because you just know that eventually AMD and Intel will introduce artificial intelligence into their products to 'improve' our lives. When in reality they are replacing our minds with a more faster replacement.

Take a look at how a secretary's office has turned from manually moving folders around and typing things on a computer or typewriter towards a completely paperless office with email and databases. The same thing can be said for driverless cars. ATMs instead of bank tellers. Prepackaged meals instead of home cooked meals. Fully automated factories and Fully automated hydroponic farms replacing regular farms.

YouTube

While progress is positive in one hand, it is detrimental in replacing humans with machines on the other hand. Yes the benefits outweigh the cons, but we are still displacing human beings for the sake of profit margins and efficiency.

At some point it has to stop. Otherwise we will no longer have any reason to exist. No meaning and no purpose in life, which for most if not all unemployed people out there has already begun.

The same can be said for the 'convenience' of digitized music. Once you've listened to everything in your library and expanded it to contain every single possible recording on the planet, once you've heard all of that music, what is left? You are age 30 and you've heard everything, what else do you listen to for the rest of your life?

There comes a point which you must constrain yourself and limit yourself so that you never run out of new musical things to enjoy. We each have roughly 80 years on this earth, digital audio has made it possible for people to access and listen to just about everything out there. I ask the question, once you've heard everything, what else is left? It used to be the case that somebody liked one song their entire life. Now we like thousands.

Digital music, the convenience of, is a drug, and it allows you to shoot-up every few minutes if you need/want to. The analog nature of vinyl limits and restricts and slows down that rate. Because if you were to fill your house with all of the albums of music available in the world but on vinyl, you would no longer have any more room to move.

There is a sweet spot whereby the human being as we know of them today can feel happiest, most content, with plenty of things to do but also without disease, or unexpected sudden deaths. We need to find that sweet spot and stop development. Otherwise we will lose ourselves, we will lose meaning of who we are and what we are, what our capabilities are.

This is also why I like cassette tape, it limits my consumption of music so I do not binge on it.

Note that I am not condoning the use of bybees in this post, this post is a tangent.

There is no spoon, but I would rather use a spoon to eat my cereal with. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Don't things like this eventually get turned into weapons. One day we will have an army of robots and who knows what else.

I haven't been keeping up with AI. What is the AI capable of these days beside just being mobile? Can AI learn and reason or is it just whatever it programmed to do?

Don't things like this eventually get turned into weapons. One day we will have an army of robots and who knows what else.

I haven't been keeping up with AI. What is the AI capable of these days beside just being mobile? Can AI learn and reason or is it just whatever it programmed to do?

Armies have been turning out robots for thousands of years. What else would run straight at a machine gun because a whistle blows?

Can AI learn and reason or is it just whatever it programmed to do?

This is the part where things get fun. Lots of people get hung up on the fallacy that "computers can only do what they are programmed to do." It seems to provide great comfort to them. The easiest challenge to this is simply to ask "What if the computers are programmed to learn?"

Everyone assumes that computer programming is "static" or "invariable" or any other word the signifies that programming is incapable of chaning. Nothing could be farther from reality. Alternatively, consider AI programming to have code that interacts with a database that the AI can update. Now we have a simple mechanism for "learning." Check out a few videos of Boston Dynamic's Atlas Robot Or Alphabet's Go playing AI. Then, just give it a few more years/decades' worth of progress...

"Can AI learn and reason, or is it just whatever it is programmed to do?"
This is perhaps the crux of the matter. If you intentionally program it to learn...it will eventually "discover" it can ignore some things it was "told to do", and will in time, make up its own destiny, its own value, purpose.
Then we have the concept of self-awareness, does this signify a life-form?
The concept of "The Singularity" is the premise that once self-awareness is achieved, the ability to improve itself will apply a hyperbolic learning curve, much unlike the Human condition.

---------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.