Rmaf 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The word of the single mic must be spreading around the recording industry which is a good thing for us.

I sat next to a gent in my flight to Denver that has a recording studio that recently reunited the group Affection Collection http://www.auntroma.com/Affection Collection.htm that he is also a member off. They have been doing this in this same fashion. He is using this http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/specs.html which is pretty cheap considering the quality of the studio copy he gave me on a cd to check out :). He said that single mic (carefully set in the sweet spot) was the way they used to do it in the old days as far back as when radio and tv broadcast first came out and just makes the recording sound the way it was intended too (more real presentation) without all of the digital enhancement that we are dealing with these days and was probably the reason analog sounds the way it does.

Then while sitting in a after hours demo in the Maxxhorn room, Larry Borden with Stereo Times came in to have a chat. Wouldn't you know he popped out a demo cd he wanted to hear that was recorded in the same fashion but think a little more involved than with the edirol device stated above. The Piano never sounded more real to me and others in the room. Here is the company that recorded the demo that Larry had. http://www.unipheyemusic.com/home.html Larry passed a card around and said he had no affiliation that he just liked what he heard on the cd and thought it meaningful to pass it out to us audiophiles. I have to get me a couple of these.

Another thing that may be of interest are the isoMike recordings that were also on display at the show. http://www.isomike.com/ I purchased the Joe McQueen and Friends cd which is great. http://www.isomike.com/joe.html#about

BR

The above are a pair we made showing the speakers with and without a grill. They are Bubinga and Quilted Maple.
These are closer to what we showed at RMAF. They are figured Bubinga and Ebony
mkj%20orion.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Don,

Bubinga is one of my favourites. On my last speakers I was torn on whether to paint or use veneers. I ended up using quilted Bubinga veneer.

NaoTT-singleorthogonalview.jpg

During this, one of my personal friends got inspired, and decided to follow my lead by building a loudspeaker out of solid 1" Jarrah planks. This is a slow growing hardwood which is native to the southwest of Western Australia.

Now I cringe to know that we go on doing this, and along our current lives, rationalising that it makes very little difference.
Yet we all know the current environmental climate.

Exotic African timbers are not renewable, nor is my locally sourced timber.

If I ever build another speaker, I will paint them. I'm want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

I hope your company pushes for eco-friendly-only colour options.

best regards,
Thanh.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well it's probably too late for me. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with speakerbuilding.

Yeah, audiophilia and audio shows like the RMAF is about the SHOW, not the HEAR.

With press junkets like Stereophile covering all that esoterica, exotica and voodoo... why would you want to showcase a stereo system that is affordable by a person on the median salary.

It kills the perception of the "high-end"

Why would want a system based on engineering principles when you can tweak til the cows come home? The endless mix and match of components. Amp matching, source swapping, cable switching, feet tweaking, cap bypassing, tube rolling, DAC matching, bi-wiring, tri-wiring, no EQ, not pots, no faders, nine 9's copper wire, silver wire, cryogenic treated wire, film/foil capacitors, silver/gold/oil capacitors, foil inductors...

Hey Earl,

My wife just walked in, gave me a cup of tea, and looked over my sholder @ the pictures of Orions.
She said "I remember those, they're the pretty ones, so nicely crafted that didn't sound so pretty."
"But I guess it doesn't matter to so many people that hear with their eyes."

Then I showed her your post...
I think she's still laughing.

tktran303 said:

If I ever build another speaker, I will paint them. I'm want to be part of the solution, not the problem.

I hope your company pushes for eco-friendly-only colour options.

The biblical creation account shows us God putting man in a garden and commanding him to be a responsible steward over the earth . . . likely the garden was intended, in part at least, as a model for man to pattern his own efforts after.

So . . . good stewardship is the key.

I think trees find their ultimate fulfillment in glorifying God through their transformation into enduring, beautiful and highly functional objects and architecture. We don't need to feel any twangs of guilt over such usages as long as 1) we are building good quality designed to last, rather than to be thrown away, and 2) we are not shooting ourselves in the foot through the taking of and/or failure to replace such things.

I have read that cathedral builders in England had maintenance plans for their buildings that looked ahead for many centuries, and they actually planted groves of oaks to provide lumber for the future maintenance needs several generations later. That's the sort of thinking we could use a lot more of today.

-- Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Chris,

I agree with you. 100%

Problem is, all we're doing is shooting ourselves in the foot.

I'm sure you've been out and about and looked around.
On the whole, the majority of things aren't built to last anymore, and we surely aren't replacing as much as we're using...

I didn't plant a single tree for the last 4 veneered speakers that I built.

Did anyone else?

regards,
Thanh.

cdwitmer said:
If the subject is going to drift at this point onto field coil power supplies, I would be interested to hear people's thinking as to whether constant current is most important or constant voltage. This is a subject about which I am very ignorant, but I do know from my experience with Feastrex field coils that the power supply definitely has a big influence on the sound.

-- Chris

Both.

Hint: Voltage will infer transient dynamic stability. Ie, the correctness of one as measured against any other.

Current brings the cone to the correct position to delineate the next.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
When in doubt, use looks and price as a proxy for quality.

[Bratislav]
Yup.

Right now you can see sagging electrical tape on the edges, no roundovers etc, clearly D-I-Y. But each time I want to take a weekend off to dissassemble them to finish em, someone will say "Who cares?"

Family members just want to keep on listening.

Troels Gravesen's ScanSpeak '2.95' ProAc "clones" were immediately retired. Now taking up space in a guest bedroom.

Against the Thors? In short, the Thors were knocked for a six in the first over, as we say. ("KO!" for our American friends) But first impressions can often be wrong, so I listened for longer, over several weeks. I listened to both in their optimal placement positions, and in 2 separate rooms.

Then I put them side by side for a weigh-in and photoshoot, and lugged the Thors upstairs. They now live in the kids' games room.

[edit]
Max upload size 1000x1000. I'll sort it out when I get back on my regular computer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.