Rmaf 07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1323179#post1323179

Nelson - Nice woodwork there buddy - I think that DaveD (Planet10) has some spare wood left over from when they knocked over the shed at his place in VC - might be able to get a good price on it!

Jon - are those the units that BudP did his EnABL mod on? Or do you have those mounted on another set of speakers? I'm really interested in how the EnABL treated speakers compare.

I need to get something going in Nashville - after all it is "Music City"!

:cheers:

Kent,
My take is that it's like the horrible colors you find in fast food restaurants. They don't want you to settle in and get comfortable. If you were to stay overly long, they might have to give you a discount, so they make things just unpleasant enough to move you on down the road.
(It's BS, true, but it's inspired BS...)

Grey

EDIT: Jeez, guys, give Nelson a break on the woodwork. Next thing you know, someone will be giving him grief because he can't outdo the painting in the Sistine Chapel.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Grey!

I said it was nice woodwork by Nelson - and I DO think it's a darn nice design as well!! Very elegant looking with a simplicity the belies the thought that went into it - let alone I'm sure some degree of trial and error involved with a new design. :worship:

No offense what so ever was intended - and if my comments were taken that way (by anyone) than allow me to apologize to any and all affected. :nod:

I had the privilege of working with Nelson back well before he became "Papa" and have always had the highest of respect for him and know him as one of the really "good guys".

:cheers:

Actually, I've done at least two active crossover threads, but there are scads of others--at least two of which bounced directly off of my second thread. One of them, can't remember who started it at the moment, was a more-or-less direct attempt to reverse engineer Nelson's XVR1. My thread was somewhat more generic.
Don't assume that this crossover is the same as the XVR1--or even a DIY version of same. I believe I saw something to the effect that Nelson was experimenting with phase coherent crossovers. See the older white paper on same at the Pass Labs website.

Grey

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Look at the rear side.
It seems that the holes have been cut off by drunken hand.
It seems that the bracing panel has been cut off by a cheap saw.
Look at the thin cables between speaker corns.
And, small pieces of black tape fix the cable to the board.
Anyhow, very nice DIY speakers, wow . . .

The full set looks luxurious.
Letting me not to give up my dream, yeah . . .

Cheers!

:darkside:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Babowana said:
Look at the rear side.
It seems that the holes have been cut off by drunken hand.
It seems that the bracing panel has been cut off by a cheap saw.
Look at the thin cables between speaker corns.
And, small pieces of black tape fix the cable to the board.
Anyhow, very nice DIY speakers, wow . . .

The full set looks luxurious.
Letting me not to give up my dream, yeah . . .

Cheers!

GRollins said:
Actually, I've done at least two active crossover threads, but there are scads of others--at least two of which bounced directly off of my second thread. One of them, can't remember who started it at the moment, was a more-or-less direct attempt to reverse engineer Nelson's XVR1.

Actually, the DIY active crossover (called "MOX") that was sold at diyaudio.com was the result of a discussion in a thread started by Fred Dieckmann, here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23522&highlight=

I joined the discussion because there was a sort of a challenge going on and I thought the attempts some engineers were making at designing a DIY XVR1-like active crossover were heading in the wrong direction. As it turned out, I apparently nailed the crossover down pretty accurately when I used the generic descrete op-amp design and Sallen Key filters that were just hinted at in the XVR1 USER MANUAL. I did what a decent M.Sc.E.E. would do - make an educated guess. Thus the MOX was born.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27651&highlight=

Only a year or so after I published my design I found out that what I did was pretty much exactly what Nelson had in mind. So, I guess I'm a mind reader, too.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32036&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=3

The old MOX is now superceded by a different and more compact version which I developed in the meantime and which is original to me:

http://www.moxtone.com/mox.htm

There.

Regards,
Milan

P.S. Hi Nelson! Nice pictures.

Studley said:
Nelson

The usual counter argument to using active Xovers is that the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages of putting more circuitry in the signal path.

Would you care to comment on your new "special" Xover in this context?

I guess that Nelson put only one more J-fet in the signal path..:D

Papa, I hope that we will get A Special Active Pass crossover schematic here....

P.S. Hopefully my baffles will be ready by next weekend...
Speakers: Visaton B200+Eminence Beta 15
Amps: 1. Zen V9 without feedback 2. An LM3886 based gainclone-modified into 4 ohm output impedance-(to drive Betas)
Pre: J-fet ccs-ed 6922 tube CF
Missing: A very special Pass active X-over

Regards,
Vix
:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.