RIP Peter Stein - ME Audio Australia

As reported recently on StereoNet Forums, Peter Stein passed away a couple of days ago (16/12/22).

Peter founded ME Sound (Australia) back in the 70's, and through the 80's and 90's he enjoyed success locally with his high current power amplifiers, particularly the ME850, 1400, and 1500 models, which still command high resale value on today's second hand market.

Since the early 2000's Peter has been largely absent from the industry scene, due firstly to marital problems, with a forced relocation to north Queensland, and more recently to some serious health problems, but people are probably unaware that up until his final days he was still planning the release of upgrades to high end models.

I last saw (and dined) with Peter about 7 year's ago, and at the time he appeared to be a picture of health and vitality.

Unfortunately, Peter succumbed to a type of lung cancer, in spite of never having smoked a cigarette in his life.

ME amplifiers will continue to be supported and serviced, and it is hoped that Peter's visions for the future will be realised in the next year or two, so stay tuned.

AV

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Terribly sad. I shared the room with Tony Moore of Ambience Ribbon Speakers and Peter from ME at the Melbourne Hifi show back in '99. Peter was always generous with his time, helping guide me through the Australian Hifi industry, and all its quirks. Much of the advice he gave me I have carried with me through the years.

The industry has lost a legend. RIP Peter.

I'm incredibly saddened to hear of Peter's passing, particularly since I've left it too late to catch up with Peter again in his NQ village. We'd met years ago when he'd first moved to NQ. Firstly as a customer, refurbishing my ME15 pre-Amp and ME550 Amp, then socially after we'd discovered that we both had the same condition. I'd kept in touch with Peter, updating each of our individual progress. Peter didn't make it and I've lost a great friend and without being able to say goodbye. As John Lennon said, Life is what happens when you're busy making plans. Truly sad. Btw, this cancer us not caused by smoking, though smoking greatly reduces your probability to survive. RIP Peter.