RIP EVH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed Van Halen I was a game changer for guitar. Others have said he basically stood the LA music scene on its head at the time and everybody had to try and catch up to him to get work.

Also very relevant for DIY as well. While there have been other prominent guitarists before him who DIYed some of their equipment, he was the first prominent guitarist who really tried to unleash new sounds with some wild DIY experiments. EVH became a huge $$$ brandname.

Jump in Heaven...
Saw him once live in munich.... FB_IMG_1602025217140.jpg

Just heard about this yesterday. Too young to go. :( I never knew that he was born in Amsterdam. Also didn’t know that he thought that some of the guitar picks in his mouth might have caused or contributed to him getting throat cancer. He was also a smoker, so that probably also was a factor.

EVH is Electro Voice Horn?
Sorry, but game changer in terms of guitar playing? Really? He just imitated techniques that originally were introduced by Jimmy Page and Steve Hackett.
I won't cry a single tear after him, as his band was representative for pop music, not for rock really.
Best regards!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
EVH is Electro Voice Horn?
Sorry, but game changer in terms of guitar playing? Really? He just imitated techniques that originally were introduced by Jimmy Page and Steve Hackett.
I won't cry a single tear after him, as his band was representative for pop music, not for rock really.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Let people mourn in peace.
Go troll or show off what you think you know somewhere else.

Last edited:
Yes, 65 is just too young. Mr brown sound power chord. I really liked the fact that he listened to how his sound was and did the DIY stuff with his guitar - and made it all work with his superb playing talent to such extraordinary effect. How many thousands of guitarists and amp builders do you spose that had inspired? Variacs dialed up on Marshalls to get his sound just right...

I've never been able to tap anything - except maybe this laptop keyboard.

RIP, Eddie. You were cool!

It cannot be overstated, just how many guitarists were influenced, globally, by Edward Van Halen. He was in a category all by himself, with what he did on a guitar. He is the most recognizable guitarist , along with Jimi, as far as modern electric guitarists go, that I've ever heard. The man had so much swing and groove, to go with that tone. The smile....man did he have an infectious smile, and that impish smirking grin when he was locked in. Love him, or not, he was a brightly burning force. Part of the soundtrack of my youth, and a huge rock inspiration to me, as a musician. RIP Big Ed. Glenn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.