Ribbon tensioning

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned how they tension the diaphragm when assembling the case. What are the specs for the tension and how can it be incorporated into the case itself? How or what is holding the tension of the Kapton or mylar ribbon? Is it serviceable? Would the incorporated tension system be consistent from unit to unit after assembly?

My assumption is that all films are glued to a insert/case prior to assembly. Similar to the Infinity Emim's., can we implement a self tensioning system as part of the case or insert?

What if the casing/insert had a machined groove around the perimeter on each half using a ball end mill. If the O-ring material is .125", then mill your radiused channel .075" deep on each casing. This half circle on each casing matches the diameter of the O-ring itself. You then take the O-ring and adhere it to one half of the case/insert. During assembly one half of the O-ring is above the surface of the case, and as it mates with the other half, the diaphragm is stretched as it conforms and is driven into the other machined casing. The Durometer/Shore rating of the O-ring material, and diameter would dictate the tension created during the interference while assembling the casing halves. I have seen Mylar sheets stretched in this manner on several occasions and think it would be applicable to our needs. During the assembly process you can kiss the mylar to the O-ring and pull any sags out of the diaphragm. Then compress the shell halves together and allow the O-ring to drive the membrane into the opposing channel to stretch it around the perimeter. The Mylar/Kapton will slip as the compression occurs and maintain consistent tension. Once contact with the frame occurs on the membrane, it should keep the tension as needed.

Use rope style Buna N or silicone O-ring material to fill the casing half.
1705251345811.png

Has anyone tried this tensioning method or seen it in use for our needs? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark