RIAA By Edgar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's what my Preamp sounds like, within You Tube's limits, and my software's abilities, at 320kbs. "Love Alive" is a rock piece by Heart with a good bit of acoustic guitar and reasonable dynamics, as a demo piece.

Demo Piece YouTube - Rock On, Delin! 320kbs audio.mp4

:) You feed the A/D to make the file directly from phono line out, yes? What cart is that and what is its output level by the way?

I am getting > 90 db signal to noise ratio using a similar setup but
with the stages reversed.
A LF353 does the RIAA equalization and output while a flat transistor
Av = 50 stage feeds the OP Amp. This works very well because the transistor amp has low noise and distortion on the (Reverse RIAA) signal while the 353 then works at much lower overall gain reducing noise and distortion.
I would think that the TL072 would be noisy (40 db noisier then mine) because of the 100x amp.

That is the message i got from You Tube. I can not play it in my country because the music is owned by Sony !
Move on Edgar, i find your efford way cool.

Attachments

• Edgar Song.jpg
    Edgar Song.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 219
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To me is not prohibited, I saw it! Superstars from the 70's shiny record, level Leds blinking, AKAI TT and everything. I have Eq for my listening position, tuned with calibrated mic and an active sub for my desktop speakers and I cranked it up! Cool.:D Why you push so much level from an MM? Feeding a power amp directly?

SA-350, Gainclone Issues

To me is not prohibited, I saw it! Superstars from the 70's shiny record, level Leds blinking, AKAI TT and everything. I have Eq for my listening position, tuned with calibrated mic and an active sub for my desktop speakers and I cranked it up! Cool.:D Why you push so much level from an MM? Feeding a power amp directly?

Thanks for the kind words, Salas. I replaced the STK2038II DPP with a DIY, LM3886-based power amp and when I did, I had hum from the tone amps that does not seem power-supply related. I put a resistive pad ahead of my new power amp assembly and traded a bit of input sensitivity for lower noise. The receiver's amps still won't clip, even at 2 V P/P, about 700mv RMS, but get loud enough, with really clean sound. Thanks, again, Edgar

Tut Mier Leid

That is the message i got from You Tube. I can not play it in my country because the music is owned by Sony !
Move on Edgar, i find your efford way cool.

Es tut mier leid dass, Sie kann mein video nicht sehen und hoerhen. Ich kann nicht GEMA bezahlen.

My German is rather rusty, as I haven't been there since 1971. I really wish you could have got it. Thank you for your kind words, Edgar

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the kind words, Salas. I replaced the STK2038II DPP with a DIY, LM3886-based power amp and when I did, I had hum from the tone amps that does not seem power-supply related. I put a resistive pad ahead of my new power amp assembly and traded a bit of input sensitivity for lower noise. The receiver's amps still won't clip, even at 2 V P/P, about 700mv RMS, but get loud enough, with really clean sound. Thanks, again, Edgar

So you spread the noise gain in the system gain structure for more even results. I don't know if we can trust that media conduit, but is it a bit soft for treble in reality?

Perf Board Piracy

I am getting > 90 db signal to noise ratio using a similar setup but
with the stages reversed.
A LF353 does the RIAA equalization and output while a flat transistor
Av = 50 stage feeds the OP Amp. This works very well because the transistor amp has low noise and distortion on the (Reverse RIAA) signal while the 353 then works at much lower overall gain reducing noise and distortion.
I would think that the TL072 would be noisy (40 db noisier then mine) because of the 100x amp.

You have an amazingly interesting idea. My perf board circuit could be revised in the future, if I get restless and need to change it. A pair of 2SC1312's (I think that's what those super LN transistors were that Akai used in the 70/s), Darlington connected, loaded into 10k, then driving an LM4562, RIAA+10db, should really ROCK. Gotta' try that topology!

I do hear noise from my configuration through headphones, but my quiet computer fan covers the noise when I listen through speakers, even at my highest listening levels. I will try metal film 680k resistors, but I'm not sure if I can work up enough ambition to completely reconfigure that preamp.

Thanks, again your idea looks great!

Treble A Bit Soft

So you spread the noise gain in the system gain structure for more even results. I don't know if we can trust that media conduit, but is it a bit soft for treble in reality?

So you have -54dB S/N - quite a poor result. The RIAA LF boost is supposed to rolloff from 50Hz, after boosting from 500Hz down. Yours will boost from around 300Hz down to 30Hz. RIAA also adds an optional rolloff from 20Hz down to reduce subsonics.

I would be surprised if the Pioneer RIAA is as inaccurate as this, but its your system and if your ears are happy with it . . .

It has a bit of a bass-heavy sound in reality and that could probably be corrected by going from .1uf, 100n, to the next lowest standard value in U-1's feedback network. C-1 could be "opened a little more" to increase the HF level some, as well. The You Tube rendition sounds a little "softer" than live, too.

Absolutely True

Has more HF in this one video at least. Your first song. YouTube - Summer Breeze - Seals & Croft #1 Hit(1972)

Agree! Upper mids and treble seem to be higher level in digital. I think deep bass is weaker or compressed in digital. Years ago I read that extreme low level signals are quite distorted in digital. I think compression and band shaping are used to keep audio within digital the formats' abilities. I really think digital is processed quite a bit differently from analog and pieces that I heard on both vinyl and digital seem to have these differences. RIAA pre-emphasis would overload at upper mid and treble levels that CD's use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.