Reworking my terrible sound system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Honestly since you are set on Infinite baffle you will need to double up on power to get it loud enough, I'm pushing 500 watts RMS to my W7 in a sealed and its just enough... go on Craigslist and get you a JL 500/1 (1 for $200 in my town) or a JL 1000/1 (1 for $400 on adhuntr) or a couple depending on how many subs you want, use a separate speaker amp, don't use one amp to power both speakers and subs. Just remember with infinite baffle your trunk needs to be air tight! and also everything you put into the trunk will affect the sound in various ways since you are actively changing the size of the box with every object you put into the trunk. if you have a large hole that isnt sealed from the interior or outside your "box" will be ported in this case the box is the trunk or the area underneath the subs. Obviously your box would be "ported" incorrectly and sound bad... best bet with IB (infinite baffle) is to seal off completely. BTW Those JL slash amps will give you their rated power at any ohms between 1.5-4 unlike many other amps that give half at 2 full at 4 etc

I think you might be a little confused on a few things, so I will just lay out a few things I have learned in the last few months,

With a subwoofer in an infinite baffle situation it can me ESTIMATED that it can only handle HALF (not need double) the power. This is because there is no longer a box to help the sub woofer's suspension in controlling the cone. thus the woofer will reach full excursion with less power.

Infinite baffle... means the sound waves from the front of the woofer are kept separate from those of the back of the woofer. therefore the trunk would need to be sealed off from the rest of the car. this is necessary because where these waves meet they will cancel each other out. The trunk does not need to be separated from the outside air. That would be turning your trunk into a really big sealed box, which does act like infinite baffle when the box is big enough.

and lastly amps often have nearly double the rated power at 2 ohms vs. 4 ohms. not the other way around.

The JL Slash amps have an "advanced" power supply that varies the voltage to keep the watts relatively the same as ohms change.

By the way none of this is meant to be at all disrespectful in anyway. I just want to get the facts strait.

I think you might be a little confused on a few things, so I will just lay out a few things I have learned in the last few months,

With a subwoofer in an infinite baffle situation it can me ESTIMATED that it can only handle HALF (not need double) the power. This is because there is no longer a box to help the sub woofer's suspension in controlling the cone. thus the woofer will reach full excursion with less power.

Infinite baffle... means the sound waves from the front of the woofer are kept separate from those of the back of the woofer. therefore the trunk would need to be sealed off from the rest of the car. this is necessary because where these waves meet they will cancel each other out. The trunk does not need to be separated from the outside air. That would be turning your trunk into a really big sealed box, which does act like infinite baffle when the box is big enough.

and lastly amps often have nearly double the rated power at 2 ohms vs. 4 ohms. not the other way around.

The JL Slash amps have an "advanced" power supply that varies the voltage to keep the watts relatively the same as ohms change.

By the way none of this is meant to be at all disrespectful in anyway. I just want to get the facts strait.

Lol you are actually right about that, I got it backwards there. And yes in infinite baffle setup you need half power but need more woofers to provide similar output, maybe it's just the IB setups I've heard weren't that great that's why

rebuild is nearly complete. I settled on Precision Power's power series for my amplifiers. I have to 640.4's for my components. still running my sony 1000.1 for my sub. Which is still a infinity 1262W but is now mounted infinite baffle and sounds pretty awesome. It doesn't have the outright output to keep up with the rest of the system. but it does very well for daily listening. very low extension and pretty clean bass. I would never have believed this sub is capable of what it is now doing. I don't have my miniDSP running so I still have no time alignment or any other significant tuning ability. so I'm really excited to hear what this system will sound like with some basic tuning. If anyone has questions about my components let me know. I'll check in occasionally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.