Revox tape machine one channel not recording

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm having trouble with a B77 Revox where one channel is not recording. Erasing is fine, input before the record is fine, just will not record. I searched around a bit and found that people generally have trouble with the oscillator relays. So I tried to spray these with a contact cleaner. This worked for a short while but now the situation is back. I suspect the relays are the problem but how does one go about cleaning them? The contacts are very small and look rather delicate. I have put a piece of paper in between to get out some of the gunk, but it appears to need a heavier cleaning.
Any help would be appreciated...

Hi again, thanks for your help. It turns out not to be the relay after all. I switched the two around and the right channel is still out.
I am beginning to suspect there may be something wrong with the playback amp/head. I put a different tape on the machine and only the left side plays.
Is it possible that there could be a problem with one side of the head and not the other? Or it is probably more likely a trouble with the repro electronics?

Hello Hugo,

Well the switches on the front include the tape monitor and the record enable. The tape/input monitor switch affects both sides of the inputs L and R so I think that can be eliminated as an option. The R record enable is lit and I see similar signal on the L and R relays so I think this is also not an option.

I have tried initially to clean and wiggle the switches to no avail.

I appreciate your help if you think of something else please let me know.

Of course I have a copy already thank you. My point is that I have a signal on both relays when in record mode which means that a signal is then transmitted to the record head according to the schematic. So unless there is a problem with one side of the record head which I find highly unlikely the problem would lie in the reproduce amplifier.
As well, when I recorded a signal on the left channel then flipped the tape, the signal was not playing back on the right side.

Am I misinterpreting something here?
Thanks again for your reply

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Indeed, most likely the playback circuit is the troublemaker.
It should be possible to trace the signal while playing a tape and compare left and right playback channels. Or try to inject a signal or sinewave (low amplitude) just after the first head amp or as close to the head as possible.

/Hugo

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had terrible trouble with all the trim pots in the A77s I've owned. Had to reaplace all of them. Don't remember that problem in a B77, but they were a lot newer at the time.

As Hugo says, see if you can inject a signal a various places along the playback path. Even if it's just hum from the tip of a small screwdriver. Good luck - report your findings!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.