Review of a crossover upgrade

Refinement of a crossover upgrade...

Starting point: HTM-12 v.1 (a diy speaker kit from DIY soundgroup)

First step was to upgrade the crossover to HTM-12+ crossover from MTG Designs with the recommended stock components. By doing this it gained an overall more linearity with some extra dB's in the bass range as expected and much appreciated. But I wanted to know how an improvement of the crossover parts for the tweeter would affect the sound.

new HTM-12+.jpg
20240212_192916 - kopia.jpg
new closeup.jpg

The capacitor in the crossover circuit plays a crucial role for the tweeter.
By upgrading to high quality premium capacitors for the tweeter the sound can really open up if sound is restricted.

My choice of capacitor for this duty was a Pure Aluminum Foil and Polypropylene Film Capacitors from WEE Technology. It was an easy choice for me because the price/quality ratio could not be competed with other brands.

20240302_115049.jpg
20240302_212622.jpg

It can be further tweaked for personal preference and taste with bypass caps.
I used the well reputed CORNELL DUBILIER 940C Film Capacitor 3000V 0,01µF.

The series resistor with the tweeter was also replaced with low inductance Precision Audio Grade Resistors from Dayton Audio. This was more of a feel-good thing as I am not convinced yet if it made that much of a sonically difference.

I had to parallel connect the WEET capacitors to achieve the correct values, only for the C5 cap I chose a slightly lower value.

20240302_213339.jpg

I also had to raise the new parts on spacers made of wood make it fit.

Initial impressions: The upgrade has resulted in a cleaner, calmer, and more convincing sound. The treble is less sharp and more laid back, making it easier to listen to. The shrill sound is completely gone, eliminating the need for any equalization or roll-off at the top. The sound is more neutral and naturally nuanced, higher notes do not stand out as before and the sound is more coherent.

Timbre: There was a little harshness/raw timbre that was previously present in the tweeter, with this upgrade the speaker delivers a more neutral and softer presentation, especially noticeable with piano tracks at louder volumes. Despite this softer presentation, there is no loss in details. I can now listen louder without being annoyed of high-pitched notes.

Personal Preferences: Everyone connects to music in their own subjective way. What sounds great to one person might not appeal to another. Therefore, the best upgrade often depends on personal preferences. It’s important to remember that the “best” upgrade can vary greatly depending on individual preferences.

Conclusion: Yes it's worth it!, the enhancement with WEET WMH 100V 200V Pure Aluminum Foil and Polypropylene Film Capacitors for tweeters provides a superior, polished audio that takes serious listening to an even higher experience.

I suppose without any AB tests we don't know what you heard and whether it is confirmation bias or a statistically provable difference (i.e. 9 out of 10 random AB samples consistently guessed). As long as you are happy and those that subscribe to the same beliefs can benefit from your findings and parts options.

Have you thought about going fully digitally active? I mean do you believe parts, any parts no matter how good the quality "get in the way" sonically?

Have you thought about going fully digitally active? I mean do you believe parts, any parts no matter how good the quality "get in the way" sonically?
That have crossed my mind and it have many benefits also with dsp.
I believe it depends on the design and personal preference.

Where did you buy those Pure Aluminum WEET Technology capacitors?
https://www.musicaps.com/product/WE...o-Alumen-Z-Cap-and-home-HiEnd-Capacitors.html