Review my DCX2496 plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've decided to go to the dark side. I haven't listened to analog in a while, not through lack of desire, but difficulty in fitting my TT's etc into my cramped room, as as it's digital only, there's no reason not to try the 2496. Besides, I can get one new at a scorching price.

Over the last day or so, I've read a heap of threads with lots of conflicting ideas and discussion, and my head is a bit goggly with it all, so I'm looking for confirmation I'm not making any obvious mistakes. Also looking for suggestions.

Step 1:
Buy Behringer
Make some temporary XLR-RCA leads with some attenuation to roughly match drivers to same level.
Plug into Pioneer HT receiver to use as pre, VC and power.
Setup xover, delays and EQ and use.

Step 2:
Make version of Jan Diddens passive O/P, probably point to point as I can do that quickly and easily.

Note: I have some new 1U and 2U rack cases, sp planned to leave the lid off the Behringer and mount all the extras in there. That gives me some space for other parts I'll add later and means minimal internal disruption to the 2496. I'll leave the original O/P board in place and run the split off of ribbon to here.

Somewhere in this process, I'll build 6 tube poweramp channels. I have almost all the gubbins neccessary and so are basically free they sound great. I'm usig horns in a smallish room, so power isn't an issue.

Step 3:
Receiver board
Analog PSU

I know these are contentious issues with some people, but I've decided, just looking for the best kits for these as I'd rather implement something already tweaked for minimal fuss to myself.

Step 4:
Tube amps in system. VC handled by ALPS 6 gang pot for the time being. Readjust all settings.

Step 5:
New clock

Step 6:
Add buffer/gain for analog sources.

More esoteric tweaks such as transformer coupled outputs from the 2496 (already have the iron) and maybe changing the DACs.
Far in the future, these are. {/yoda voice}

Max interconnect length will be 1m or so.

Have I missed anything? Comments? Suggestions? Name of a good therapist?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Brett said:
I've decided to go to the dark side. I haven't listened to analog in a while, not through lack of desire, but difficulty in fitting my TT's etc into my cramped room, as as it's digital only, there's no reason not to try the 2496. Besides, I can get one new at a scorching price.

Over the last day or so, I've read a heap of threads with lots of conflicting ideas and discussion, and my head is a bit goggly with it all, so I'm looking for confirmation I'm not making any obvious mistakes. Also looking for suggestions.

Step 1:
Buy Behringer
Make some temporary XLR-RCA leads with some attenuation to roughly match drivers to same level.
Plug into Pioneer HT receiver to use as pre, VC and power.
Setup xover, delays and EQ and use.

Step 2:
Make version of Jan Diddens passive O/P, probably point to point as I can do that quickly and easily.

Note: I have some new 1U and 2U rack cases, sp planned to leave the lid off the Behringer and mount all the extras in there. That gives me some space for other parts I'll add later and means minimal internal disruption to the 2496. I'll leave the original O/P board in place and run the split off of ribbon to here.

Somewhere in this process, I'll build 6 tube poweramp channels. I have almost all the gubbins neccessary and so are basically free they sound great. I'm usig horns in a smallish room, so power isn't an issue.

Step 3:
Receiver board
Analog PSU

I know these are contentious issues with some people, but I've decided, just looking for the best kits for these as I'd rather implement something already tweaked for minimal fuss to myself.

Step 4:
Tube amps in system. VC handled by ALPS 6 gang pot for the time being. Readjust all settings.

Step 5:
New clock

Step 6:
Add buffer/gain for analog sources.

More esoteric tweaks such as transformer coupled outputs from the 2496 (already have the iron) and maybe changing the DACs.
Far in the future, these are. {/yoda voice}

Max interconnect length will be 1m or so.

Have I missed anything? Comments? Suggestions? Name of a good therapist?

Hi,

You aware of my ACTIVE output board, with remote level control, buffering, level offset for woofer and tweeter channels, balance control? If you are, but not considering it, that's OK. Just want to mention another variable ;)

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Review my DCX2496 plans

janneman said:

Hi,

You aware of my ACTIVE output board, with remote level control, buffering, level offset for woofer and tweeter channels, balance control? If you are, but not considering it, that's OK. Just want to mention another variable ;)

Jan Didden
Yes, but it's stupid $ for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.