• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Revamping of a Michaelson & Austin TVA-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last yeat I decided to buy a M&A TVA-1 on EBay. It was a modified one, with KT-90 tubes and other changes. When I received it I had the bad surprise that it was humming and buzzing, so I decided to revamp it.
It took a few months, but the result was beyond my expectations. I restored the KT-88 tubes and the original schematic, but understood a few things and made a few changes which could be of help to others.
I am new to this Forum, I searched it for similar topics but found none.
I ask for a bit of advise: is it worth that I occupy a few magabytes of space on this Forum to present what I did?
I have a short narrative, plus some schematic diagrams, component list and photos: how many megabytes can I use for posting them?
Thank you
Giovanni

TVA-1 revamping

I have been requested by a few members to post about the revamping of my TVA-1 (which I did in 2009 - time is fast...), which is still working very well, so I attach the narrative and a few photos.
I am available to provide additional photos and/or information / clarifications if necessary.
Giovanni

Attachments

• TVA-1 revamping article.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 562
  • Measurements.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 346
  • Component list.pdf
    10.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 13 - internal view.jpg
    13 - internal view.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 03 - As purchased - inside.jpg
    03 - As purchased - inside.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 992
  • 01 - As purchased front.jpg
    01 - As purchased front.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 09 - Main board.jpg
    09 - Main board.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 967
  • 10 - Main board.jpg
    10 - Main board.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 927
  • 11 - Bias  power board.jpg
    11 - Bias power board.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 499
  • 16 - TVA-1 front.jpg
    16 - TVA-1 front.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 485
Thank you!

I have been requested by a few members to post about the revamping of my TVA-1 (which I did in 2009 - time is fast...), which is still working very well, so I attach the narrative and a few photos.
I am available to provide additional photos and/or information / clarifications if necessary.
Giovanni

Hello Giovanni,

First of all thank you for the TVA-1, Mentmore pictures and your precise description of the changes you did make after receiving the amplifier.

As I own one erly version of the TVA-1(before sold to Mentmore) which was received with major changes in bias as well as ground wiring, I got the same hum problems described by you.

The only thing I really would like to know :

Where did Anthony Michaelson and Kevin Austin originally make the chassis ground ? The TVA-1 has a 2 mm thick polished steel chassis . Did the two gentlemen make the ground close the the RCA connectors on the rear panel, or close to the large PSU capacitors?

Do you have a schematic of the ground wiring from your Mentmore 100, Ind.?

Really appreciate your help on this.

Best regards
Gudmund

Giovanni

Forgot to say that some secrets of the older TVA-1 is visible on TUBEAMP

Could you explain the function of the little relay circuit on the pictures? is it high volt delay?
rgds

Hello Gudmund,
the chassis ground connection is on the power transformer, where the Earth connection from the 220V socket is connected to the central pole of the transformer (you can see it from the first picture, in the low left corner).

The little relay circuit is to apply the High Voltage with a delay (about 30 sec.) vs. the bias and filaments heating. In the final version I added 2 resistors (see the picture attached) such that the HV is gradually increasing, so to treat even more gently the tubes. I put 6k8 resistors, a better value is a bit lower, say 4k8.

I don't have an M-100, so I cannot articulate on this.

Finally, I take the opportunity to post a few more pictures, including some oscillograms which show the max. power and the clipping.

Giovanni

Attachments

• TVA-1 on Tannoy.jpg
    TVA-1 on Tannoy.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 342
  • Soft start resistors.jpg
    Soft start resistors.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 04092009824.jpg
    04092009824.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Main board with component numbers.jpg
    Main board with component numbers.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Schematic - Revamped.jpg
    Schematic - Revamped.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 719
  • BiasChart-KT88.jpg
    BiasChart-KT88.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 607
  • 18 - oscillogram.jpg
    18 - oscillogram.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 19 - oscillogram (clipping).jpg
    19 - oscillogram (clipping).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 192
  • 20 - oscillogram (square wave).jpg
    20 - oscillogram (square wave).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 194
Hello Gudmund,
the chassis ground connection is on the power transformer, where the Earth connection from the 220V socket is connected to the central pole of the transformer (you can see it from the first picture, in the low left corner).

The little relay circuit is to apply the High Voltage with a delay (about 30 sec.) vs. the bias and filaments heating. In the final version I added 2 resistors (see the picture attached) such that the HV is gradually increasing, so to treat even more gently the tubes. I put 6k8 resistors, a better value is a bit lower, say 4k8.

Finally, I take the opportunity to post a few more pictures, including some oscillograms which show the max. power and the clipping.

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

Yes - it's possible to see the black wire connected to the zero voltage central point between the two 190Vac tags on the powertransformer . This is the erth connection for the incomming AC...which could be 220Vac ....depending on the countrys local AC supply.
It's the signal chassis point I am looking for...after the two 1000uF/400V caps ....and the ground wire from the driverboard. Where are these two wires connected to the steel chassis on your valveamp? Normally the chassis do only have one central connection for all internal ground wiring....the amplifier do not have floating ground..or?
All my DIY amplifiers has a central ground point, where the RCA screen connectors ,zero voltage wires from PSU caps and ground wires from the driver board mets in one point only (starpoint). I think the TVA-1 is made the same way?

Gudmund

Gudmund,
I don't remember having seen these grounding connection anywhere, I looked at all the pictures I have and there is no sign of such connection.
The next time I open the amp I'll search for it.
Giovanni

Thanks Giovanni,
You have been a great help so far...if you could find the chassis ground when its time for service, I would appreciate that very much.

Gudmund

TVA-1 , Mentmore Curiosity

Giovanni

As TVA-1 owner you might like to know what has been written:

"I spoke with a man named Colin in UK. He was the UK distibutor of
Papworth amplifiers.
I was informed that Tim de Paravicini was designing for Anthony Michaelson and
Kevin Austin at that moment, and that the TVA-1 and TVA-10(may be also the
Mentmore M100) was more or less Tim's amplifiers....hence TVA-1 = Tim's Valve
Amp - the first.
Michaelson and Austin went broke, and Anthony Michaelson went on to found
Musical Fidelity , where the M & A designs were sold to Mentmore.
Colin was not sure that the Mentmore M100 is designed by Tim de Paravicini, but
I have a copy of the original M100 drawing, and the circuit looks pretty much
like a TdP design to me?"

Tim's Valve Amp ....TVA-1

Gudmund,
I finally re-open my TVA-1 for a bias checking (all ok after 6 years of moderate use) and to replace the big filter capacitors with bigger ones (2200 uF each instead of 1000 uF), so I took the opportunity to take a picture of the chassis ground connection (posted here below), which is the yellow-green cable and is as per the schematic diagram. Hope this helps.

Giovanni

Attachments

• Ground connection to the chassis.jpg
    Ground connection to the chassis.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.