• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Retro - A fully symetrical phono stage with RIAA filter

Hi everybody,

I am a newbie who need some help because i have builted a Low Z board but when i tested it, i have a complete silence :-(

My MC AT OC9 0,45 mv cartridge outputs are isolated from ground and connected to IN +/- , i try to grounded IN- without sucess.
Board outputs are connected to my balanced préamp. with XLR :
OUT + pin 2, OUT - pin 3, GND pin 1.
PS is 10 AA batteries
everything rigth here ?

I have measured IN/OUT board voltage with the turntable unplugged.
I see 2,20/2,25 V between GND and each inputs and outputs.
Is it normal ??

Thanks for help, i don't no what to do !

Oups !

I realize my big mistake, PS is not bipolar (yes newbie)

I need a second batteries box like mine,
linked + box 1 with - box 2 to GND pin board
- box 1 to - pin board
+ box 2 to + pin board
and i must have around 30 V between + and - pins board.
That's correct ?

Oups !

I realize my big mistake, PS is not bipolar (yes newbie)

I need a second batteries box like mine,
linked + box 1 with - box 2 to GND pin board
- box 1 to - pin board
+ box 2 to + pin board
and i must have around 30 V between + and - pins board.
That's correct ?

Correct. Or just use a regular bipolar supply, which would be a lot easier and won't run out or power. :)

Unless you are using special batteries (LiPo), your battery supply will have a relatively large output impedance, and will not yield optimum results.

Last edited:
I ordered the Lo-Z Retro yesterday and the more I think about it the more I like it.

Early this week I received a Thorens TD320 with Denon DL-103 bought on Ebay and I built the (picture below) MC preamp and RIAA from:
RIAA Phono Preamps
Hi-Fi RIAA Phono Preamp

I’m using digital amps so I must convert to digital thus ordered a CS5381 but then realized: “bummer, why going single-ended when both coil and ADC input aren’t”

Analog design stuff isn’t my cup of tea so I checked on internet and found the Retro...

Attachments

• vinyl2.jpg
    vinyl2.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 758
Happy New Year to everyone.

Not sure which forum is best for this question (posted it on Twisted Pear Audio about a week ago).

I received the Retro lo-Z and was wondering about R7 & R8 (both 2K) not included and instead got C14 & C15 (both 22pF) which don't appear on the schematic.

I would think that the original design might have been slightly modified and I received the updated parts but the PCB is still the original one, hence the mismatch.

Brian or Russ please can you advise ? Many thanks in advance.

Anyway for the time being I soldered a couple of metal film 1K in series I had in my drawers and the Retro seems to be working pretty well, albeit an output level a bit low. Great!

Below is a picture of the Retro together with the AD converter from Uwe Beis AD24QS - Audio Analog to Digital Converter 24 Bit / 192 kHz

Originally I was thinking of using a smaller enclosure thus planning to make a PCB based on Uwe's ADC design but finally I went for the easy way. I cut a new front panel and just added a small plate to cover the rear panel unused holes.

Notes:
- the Retro R18 & R19 are 47 ohms for the Denon DL-103
- the SMA connector on the upper left side is for the connection to the master clock
- I tried to re-use a small transformer I had scrapped from an amp to quickly make a single 14V power supply. It works but the power rating is too low and I'll have to use a transformer a bit bigger

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 686