Resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Gentlemen

I am looking for resistors to set exact MC input load on my Gryphon Legato Legacy phono preamp.

Gryphon has suggested me to choose between the following:

Takman REY50, Vishay MBE0414, Roederstein MK4

Do you know from where I can get these resistors online?

Thank you and best regards

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dear Gentlemen

I am looking for resistors to set exact MC input load on my Gryphon Legato Legacy phono preamp.

Try Mouser. But Reichert (Germany) may also have them.

I would not lose any sleep over the brand - and decent MF resister will do the job like a Dale, Xircon, Panasonic etc

I would not lose any sleep over the brand - and decent MF resister will do the job like a Dale, Xircon, Panasonic etc
Absolutely - so long as its reputable brand with working quality control the brand isn't relevant to performance of a metal-film. The size matters more - run closer to the power limit and you'll start to get some small amount of non-linearity (more of an issue with SMT thin-film which are tiny). Still performs better than any carbon resistor!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's a good paper.

There was a guy here on the forum (I think he was from Sweden) that measured the noise on a whole range of 0.5% MF resistor brands about 6 or 7 years ago. I tried to find his post on the forum but could not.

I was quite surprised to see Xircon was very low noise (not the lowest, but commendably low).

Account Closed
Joined 2010
That's a good paper.

There was a guy here on the forum (I think he was from Sweden) that measured the noise on a whole range of 0.5% MF resistor brands about 6 or 7 years ago. I tried to find his post on the forum but could not.

I was quite surprised to see Xircon was very low noise (not the lowest, but commendably low).
Honestly...for a 20 ohms resistor i don't give a damn about its noise...I can make it by rubbing a B4...B10 pencil against the PCB directly and nobody's gonna hear a damn noise because of it.besides it's shunted by the dc resistance of the mc cart in all the audio bandwidth.
I actually wonder whether it's not even a benefit to have a noisier resistor in parallel with an mc cart as a high frequency energy diffuser due to white noise random phase shift if the preamplifier is prone to high frequency oscillations...

Last edited:
Why you would want to use medical grade, MF components is a mystery.
Anything with a convoluted name such as
Gryphon Legato Legacy
must certainly be expensive and high quality, wouldn´t it? :rolleyes:

So it deserves the most expensive parts.

Whether they make it sound "better" or even "different" is not the point.

Hey, would the English Queen drink plebeian Coca Cola when thirsty?

I bet she drinks custom brewed Coca Cola Refrescato Legacy at least, at 200 Sterling a bottle. :p

Dear Gentlemen

PartsConnexion in Canada carries the Takman.
Michael Percy Audio has some Roederstein Mk3s
Mouser and Digikey seem to have some values of the Vishay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.