Resistors- Texas Component and Kiwame- Big SQ change

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Once resistor will dissipate 2 3 4 watt my favourite choice for decades now i think the 12 watt non inductive Mills are the way to go.
Long long time ago i had a Daniel pre amp with in total six 10 or 20Kohm resistors which according to the kit instructions should not be the usual 0,5 watt but 2 or 3 watt metal oxide resistors. I used it with these metal oxide resistors for a few years. Then when Michael Percy started selling Mills i got 6 12 watt resistors. This was surely one of the best investments i ever made since the early eighties.
Greetings, Eduard

Universe is large organism+system struggling on daily basis. All involved/revolving is everchanging. Being able to detect such things as described by OP has happened to me a lot too. Also I notice whole different hearing perception as I am aging (not old, but 30 is close). When I was younger I couldn't really tell if my mind is playing with me or not, for an example when adding extra capacitance etc. Different topology amps as well, every single one seemed different. Now, as I am realizing I am not a youngster with many options left ahead in front of me, and bass guitars and heavy riffs sound a looooot more different to me, I can feel my solar plexus grooving in strange sentimental ways even with headphones. Hell, I don't care if dudes call me snake oil theorist, I even practice this pseudo-acoustics psychology on myself. Being intrigued in quantum physics even lets me write manifests for myself.
OTOH, it is not a diamond hard reality that can be proved as consistent level of energy. It is all there, somewhere. Some may make fun of you for such claims, some sit quietly. Because they know - their 70's stash of resistors have seen it all.

EDIT: I admit, making a better measurement in diamond hard reality is meaningful. Yet I don't agree that it means superior. We (the people) may be more cynical and more adaptive than generations before, yet I wouldn't say we are better people in absolutes.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did the same in my Daniel preamp. The metal oxide were about the seize of 2 watt Alen Bradley. So distance between mounting holes was like 30% of distance needed for Mills. Depending on the location you can bend one of the connection or both. I raised the resistor about 1/2 inch above the board to create airflow.
I think now Mills is part of Vishay. You must look for the non inductive ones and non magnetic construction. Mouser has many types usually the audioparts shop sell the '' right one ''
Especially when they get hot the Mills are nice.
Greetings, Eduard

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are the Texas components just repackaged Vishays with flooby dust sprinkled on them to make them audio resistors?

No they're not. Outside of the context of this discussion they are the choice in high precision, low noise test applications. (4 quadrant sources, pin drivers, precision voltage source DA amplifiers.) They also happen to be pretty blameless as resistors go.

In the analog/mixed signal design world I lived in (and we like measurements) for ATE they are pretty unimpeachable. (As are the Vishay foils)

They are expensive, I rarely if ever use them in my hifi projects. If someone gave me some I'd for damn sure find a use for them.. LOL Strikes me tape amps and phono stages are just the place.

To the OP I assume you meant Holco? The PRP is a different animal.

I was also very skeptical of products that are said to make wonders and this also applies to these foil resistors and I mostly thought they were overpriced.

One of my friends came one day and asked if I could change the resistor in his F4 that I have built for him and of course I could but I wondered why it turned out that he had read about foil resistor and could think of changing the ones that sat in signal path. I sent him a list of what values ​​I need, once I had both F4 and resistor I only changed resistors on one channel to hear if there was any difference.

Once I started listening, I realized that there was a difference between the channels, I check all the adjustments and listened again still difference. I called one of my friends who is a very good musician with horn instruments as a specialty, he experienced that the channel that was "original" sounded broken that the one with foil had more flow and was more transparent. He thought that brass instruments sounded right, which I think is a good rating.

If I had money, I would exchange in the devices I use the most, but it will have to wait until I win the lottery or similar.

No they're not. Outside of the context of this discussion they are the choice in high precision, low noise test applications. (4 quadrant sources, pin drivers, precision voltage source DA amplifiers.) They also happen to be pretty blameless as resistors go.

In the analog/mixed signal design world I lived in (and we like measurements) for ATE they are pretty unimpeachable. (As are the Vishay foils)

They are expensive, I rarely if ever use them in my hifi projects. If someone gave me some I'd for damn sure find a use for them.. LOL Strikes me tape amps and phono stages are just the place.

To the OP I assume you meant Holco? The PRP is a different animal.

Yes, my mistake I meant Holco (H2) which was located at the input of my amplifier. My Buffered preamp (B1 design) had a 100 Ohm PRP 9372 at its output and that I replaced with a 100 Ohm TX2575 about 3 days after my swap in the amp. That just further enhanced that transparent magic I was already hearing with the amp input swap.

What's your thoughts on the PRP, other than Michael Percy saying they are excellent I know noting of them.

Joined 2014
Paid Member

But they are Z-foils, so they must buy the bulk foil from Vishay then trim to value and package?

My comment was based on the fact that Texas components actually refer to the TX2575 as an 'audio resistor' as if it's a different range in some way from their precision industrial parts. I fully appreciate that there are uses outside audio where they really earn their keep.

Aside: obvious when you look at it but very clever that Vishay realised they could sell strain gauges as fixed resistors.

@K.A.B wow great story, I assume a naked foil went in the original channel as well after listening.

Yes it did after I switched in the second channel so I kept the amplifier a little longer for evaluation but after two weeks my friend wanted his amplifier back :D.

But if I were to build with foil resistor today, I would have concentrated on phono, preamp and amplifier and only in the signal path. I have also tried Caddock thick film with similar results they are much cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.