Resistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

My friend bought some B&O speaker at a thrift store and he played them for me and they didn't sound right. He was pretty bummed, so I told him I would try to help him. I opened both up and they both had the same burnt resistor.
The only thing is I don't know what kind it is to order a new one, could someone help me decipher what value it is so I can order a new one? Thanks!!

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    999.1 KB · Views: 106
Joined 2011
Get a 10 Ohm 5 watt (or even 10w, or 20w) wirewound resistor.
The higher power resistors are longer, though. See if they'll fit before ordering.
Any local electronics shop (if you have one) will have these resistors.

Last edited:
I checked the drivers by ear, but that was the extent of it. The midrange and the tweeter are enclosed in a plastic case that is not easy to access. If it does not work, then my friend learned a lesson on buying speakers without listening to them. He wanted the speakers to match his Beomaster system.

Joined 2011
This resistor is probably just in series with the driver(s), for level matching.
If you short out the two ends (where the resistor was), you should be able
to get sound out of the driver(s), although they will then be too loud to properly match
the woofer (and the crossover point will shift). Just a little volume, don't need to blast it.

There's also the possibility that the resistors are still functional, and the drivers are blown.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.