resistor in series or parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am starting a new project soon, and am just getting together my cx parts.
My problem is finding a 16 Ohm resistor with enough power handling to work in my woofer circuit. I am a noob at most of this, but from what I have read recently, I figure that if I wire 2 8 Ohm 12 watt resistors in series, this will give me a resistance of 16 Ohms and a power handling of 24 watt.

Am I correct???
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

In as far as you have told us, you are correct, but I think the deeper question is where and why are you putting a 16 ohm resistor in your woofer circuit?

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do that, but a few more details would help us understand.

Still, perhaps we don't need to understand, but you say you are a beginner and people here can offer a great deal of help and advice.

At the core of it all, two 8 ohm 12w in series indeed does equal one 16 ohm 24 watt resistor.

Steve/bluewizard

My reasoning on using the 2 8 Ohm resistors is to reach the 16 ohm requirement and increase power handling. I have read that a resistor in a woofer circuit requires a power handling of 15-20 watts. Is this not correct?
As I said before I am new at this, and it's definitely a learning experience. Below is a pic of the crossover.

Attachments

• cx1.jpg
    cx1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 121
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.