Reshaping an IB speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have some Celestion Ditton 100 speakers in need of new cabinets.

I like the sound of these speakers but would prefer a narrower baffle for domestic harmony.

These are infinite baffle speakers, but I know FA else about speaker design.

Is it only the volume of the cabinet that is important, or are there other considerations that would restrict the choice of alternative cabinet shapes?

How can you go narrower than that ?

Maybe you want some sculptured baffle, like an Ikea bowl.

Now, the definition of IB makes me think : as the infinite baffle concept
is referred to what the woofer emits frontally and the sound wave travels
freely in any direction -but limited to the geometry of boundaries around the speaker..so there's the Baffle Step Compensation etc etc. But referring to what happens to the back wave, it is called properly a Pneumatic Suspension box.
The air inside acts as a spring and together with the speaker ( suspension surround and spider, which are the two springs of a speaker ) .
The volume of air determines also the Qtc .

But often the market determines that for a certain budget...and for stocking and transportation, the box should be like that.

re:"These are infinite baffle speakers" are they, or are they mis-named closed boxes?
re:"other considerations " - the width of the baffle affects the baffle step frequency (where the lower frequencies drop off in level because they are radiating into a sphere rather than a hemisphere), the crossover needs to be tweaked slightly to compensate. Read up on 'Baffle Step Compensation"

re:"These are infinite baffle speakers" are they, or are they mis-named closed boxes?
re:"other considerations " - the width of the baffle affects the baffle step frequency (where the lower frequencies drop off in level because they are radiating into a sphere rather than a hemisphere), the crossover needs to be tweaked slightly to compensate. Read up on 'Baffle Step Compensation"

Maybe not everybody uses or understands the term this way, but I can think of two authors that refer to an infinite baffle system as a closed-box system of an interior volume that approaches equal to Vas of the driver back-loaded by the box.

You've made a good point about the need to change baffle step compensation when changing the width. The need to change BSC didn't cross my mind.

Regards,
Pete

re:"I can think of two authors that refer to an infinite baffle system as a closed-box system" - 'Infinite Baffle' became used this way by marketers back in the 70s, it sounds much more sexy than 'closed box', but IB actually amounts to mounting your speakers in the wall...

No, not marketers : I've read about it in two different books - yes, those are coming from the '70s !- in the ritual chapter I where the basics of wave propagation are explained.
You see the first figure of the bare loudspeaker with the arrows pointing at the acoustic short circuit and then the loudspeaker on a baffle, where the arrows are stopped :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.