New Issue Request : Upgrade Search

A new issue that has not yet been assigned a status
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not a problem, just a request.

Is it possible to adjust the search so that it doesn't need to see a space at both ends of the searched term ? (Which I assume it does now.)

For example. I was looking for all references to power dissipation in the UNSET Beta Board Build thread. I know it has been discussed so to catch everything I searched "Dissipat" which on another forum under the search parameter of "Exact Match" would net "Dissipate, Dissipates, Dissipated, Dissipating, . . . . ."
On this search it gets "No results found"

Is it an option in this forum software?

Thanks

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I just did a search for dissipat on the whole site. No results were in the UNSET Beta Board thread. You should see 27 matches. The first one was your above post.

Screenshot from 2022-07-03 08-35-54.png

I'm thinking search doesn't reach into this part of the vendor area.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Unless I miss my guess, (attempting polite understatement) there will be a few more than 27 references to power dissipation in any conjugation of the word over the whole site. Just guessing of course.

As for not reaching the Vendor area , is there a reason it should work that way?

Thanks for taking the time to check.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Wow, what a thought. Does the old site actually still exist?

I can tell you though, this has been a request of mine since long before the migration. I first saw a search function able to pick out any combination of text characters (including spaces!) in whatever context they appear at Audio Asylum. It makes searches much more efficient and is especially helpful when you're looking for a post you can remember having some particular use of language but not the specific conjugation . . . or perhaps a name that started with --- but nothing else. Great for searching electronics parts where only a fragment of the part number is remembered. We really should have that here.

I do remember from the old site finding posts through a search of browser history after search of the forum disallowed a certain keyword or said it didn't exist in the post I knew it was in.