Replacing RCA S/PDIF sockets with BNCs

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please use a 75 Ohm BNC suitable for 500 or more matings. Cheap ones exist that don't bring much. New old stock ones by the famous brands are good.

Also the depth and the mounting hole differ. I use Neutrik NBB75SI where there is not much space for a full length version. Wiring can then also be very short. NBB75SI also has a larger than usual mounting hole that often fits the hole of the RCA. If not then a file does wonders.

Thanks for the info. Agreed that the RCA is a compromised design.
I use a lot of Naim gear and glad they include BNC in their products.

I’m looking at the Questyle CMA 12 Master, which also uses RCA terminals. I’d like to change the terminal if I decide to go with that product.

RCAs are cheap and easy for both manufacturer and customers. Impedance matching was not a concern when they were designed for analog audio. BNCs are designed for high reliability and impedance matching because they are primarily video connectors where high frequency roll off maters. Make sure you get true 75 ohm connectors and sockets and use the crimper designed for that connector And cable. I have 6 different crimpers for all sorts of combos. Kings and Canare are the ones we use professionally but there are others. Neutrik make decent jacks for both pcb and panel mount.