Replacing electrolytics, Marantz 7T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all -

First post, though I've been lurking a while.

Just successfully replaced all the electrolytic caps in my Yamaha A-1000 amp and cleaned up some corrosion from a leaky cap. Sounds great!!

I'm now on to another project. Recently acquired a Marantz 7T in nice, functional condition. No collectability, unfortunately, since someone replaced the power switch and did a real hack job on it. So, I'm looking at doing a variety of mods on this preamp, starting with replacement of the electrolytics. It only has 9 total, all appear to be original.

I'm good with a soldering iron, but still learning about amps, and interested in only doing straightforward mods. So, pls forgive the perhaps elementary questions.

First, the 7T has what looks like an original 2-in-1 250uF capacitor just after the power supply. I've attached a schematic. Single can, two leads out the positive end, one out the negative. So, my plan is to replace this single cap with two new caps. Am I missing something?

Second, as I did in the Yamaha, I plan to use two capacitors in parallel to achieve the same, or nearly the same, capacitance rating as ones I'm replacing. Any problem with this? The alternative is using single replacement caps that may be 30 to 50 percent greater capacitance, which I fear doing.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Will also let you all know how it goes.

MTfly

Attachments

• marantz 7t power supply.jpg
    marantz 7t power supply.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 710
Anyone??

I think at this point, my plan is to replace the electrloytics as follows, rather than use parallel caps:

330 uF/100v for the 250uF/80 volt power supply caps,

and 470uF/50volts for the 330uF/50 volt caps,

and 22uF/50 volt caps for the 15uF/35v output board caps.

and will see how it sounds. Will use Nichicon Muse series and Elna Similic. Hopefully, the higher capacitance values won't be a problem.

While I'm at is, I'm going to replace the heavily oxidized output posts with new gold plated ones.

Any comments on the caps?

Thanks all and best wishes for a fabulous holiday!

MTfly

Thanks very much for the offer. Yes, I'm sure I could use some help!!

Unfortunately, since I'm new to the board, I can't yet email members.

:-(

Hopefully, that will change soon.

I don't really understand the whole coupling/decoupling thing. I will try to educate myself.

My intention here was to upgrade the original electrolytics (vintage 1965) with more modern, fresh caps, but I know that there is more to caps than capacitance and voltage.

So, I'd welcome some help!!

Best wishes....

MTfly

Marantz 7T

The 250mfd capacitors in the power supply are the bulk storage pre series pass transistor and then there is a 250mfd capacitor on the base of the series pass device.

The series pass device serves two functions.

1) The zener diode from its base to ground serves as a crude regulator.
2) The capacitor (250mfd) in parallel with the zener has its capacitoance multiplied by the DC current gain of this series pass transistor.

Do this in the power supply and you will improve matters immensly.

1) Replace the four rectifier diodes with faster higher current parts. Since they are hand wires on a tagboard there is no problem of space. HER302 diodes work well.
2) Solder a 0.1mfd 200v polypropylene capacitor directly across the secondary winding.
3) Replace the pass transistor with a darlington type or add in am extra transistor to convert the pass element to be darlington. This will have massive gain and then the base capacitor's value will now be multiplied by a factor of at least 10,000 times. So putting a 1000mfd/63v capacitor to ground will give you an effective capacitance of 10 million microfarads!!! There will be as close to zero ripple on the power supply.
4) To prevent any oscillation, the base of a series pass device should always have a low value of resistance in series. Values from 22 ohms to 200 ohms are fine.

To improve the total performance of the unit, add local +43v decoupling capacitors at each of the preamplifier modules.

Replace all resistors with 1% metal film types.

Parallel all those power supply lytics with 0.1mfd polypropylene types.

If you will use the 7T with vinyl, the best improvement to make to the RIAA preamplifier is too hard wire the RIAA feedback components to the RIAA board. These are on the input selector switch due to the tape head and microphone inputs requiring different eq.

I doubt tat you will have a reel to reel with no preamps and I doubt you will use a microphone.

Convert these inputs to line level types.

Lastly repalce those cheap RCA conncetors with decent types.

Regards

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio Corp. CA

PS I have worked on these Marantz preamps since 1968 and know them like the back of my hand.

marantz 7T upgrade

I recently had Steve Mantz from Zed Audio upgrade my 7T. First off I have been into audio for 38 years and I've seen a lot of claimed upgrades and tweaks that did nothing to enhance the musicality of a system. Too many sounded different, but not better. Therefore I was a little apprehensive about upgrading as I originally sent it to be repaired. Would it change the sound into something I wouldn't like?
Well upon plugging it back in it was immediately apparent the sound was significantly improved and it still sounded like a 7T. Whew!
The improvements were all good and I didn't have to give up something to get the improvements. You really have no idea how good a 7T can sound until you hear this upgrade.

The improvements right out of the box were ;

- more musical
- better rhythm
- more involving
- more coherent
- quieter background
- fuller sounding
- more dynamic
- better balance between channels
- better imaging (solid imaging, not etched)
- better depth
- better soundstage
- more scale

.....and it still retained 100% of the "Marantz sound",

After about 200 hours run in I ran it against my other 7T and confirmed the above.

I would like to publicly thank Steve Mantz for a job well done!

I will be packing up my Model 15 this week and shipping it off Zed Audio for more of the same.

NM

Marantz Model 15 redone

After the excellent results with my 7T I sent my Model 15 off to Zed Audio for more of the same. Having confidence this time I suggested he "do what it takes" to improve the 15's performance.
Later on the test sheets arrived via email showing excellent specs for each amp (superior to factory specs). Upon arrival of the amps I noticed an immediate improvement across the audible range. I ran it in for about 100 hours then sat down for a good listen. Definitely an improvement as mentioned but more fluid now and a fuller sound. The bass improvements were better than my initial listen as the full bass range was more powerful, solid and faster. Actually everything top to bottom was better but the bass caught my attention immediately. After getting used to the sound I plugged my other original Model 15 in and though I still liked it I began to miss the upgraded one in short order. I have not had the desire to plug the other 15 back in since.
Listening various music over the last 2 weeks I realized I have never enjoyed the music more. The sound is rich, rhythmic and detailed, in a harmonically accurate way rather than etched. The imaging is more realistic and the sound is accurately full bodied in more natural and pleasing. Playing some old Beatles music the recording quality is no longer an issue.
To sum it up it doesn't seem to matter what you put on now the music fills the room and you fall under it's spell.
Great work Steve! Thanks.

marantz 7t-15 vs naim

After the excellent results with my 7T I sent my Model 15 off to Zed Audio for more of the same. Having confidence this time I suggested he "do what it takes" to improve the 15's performance.
Later on the test sheets arrived via email showing excellent specs for each amp (superior to factory specs). Upon arrival of the amps I noticed an immediate improvement across the audible range. I ran it in for about 100 hours then sat down for a good listen. Definitely an improvement as mentioned but more fluid now and a fuller sound. The bass improvements were better than my initial listen as the full bass range was more powerful, solid and faster. Actually everything top to bottom was better but the bass caught my attention immediately. After getting used to the sound I plugged my other original Model 15 in and though I still liked it I began to miss the upgraded one in short order. I have not had the desire to plug the other 15 back in since.
Listening various music over the last 2 weeks I realized I have never enjoyed the music more. The sound is rich, rhythmic and detailed, in a harmonically accurate way rather than etched. The imaging is more realistic and the sound is accurately full bodied in more natural and pleasing. Playing some old Beatles music the recording quality is no longer an issue.
To sum it up it doesn't seem to matter what you put on now the music fills the room and you fall under it's spell.
Great work Steve! Thanks.
I just got a manantz 7t today. How does the modified Marantz stuff compare to your Naim equipment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.