Replacement subs for Cerwin Vega PS-215B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Replacement subs for Cerwin Vega PS-215B

I have just acquired a pair of these 2x15 sub beasties from a friend of mine for silly money for doing house parties. (They were taking up room in his kitchen...)

Apparently 2 of the 15's are blown and need reconing. Also the cabs need to be sanded down and re-sprayed (pref Trimite). However they look and feel very solid.

The drivers are PS15-16, (16 ohm, 400 w rms) have no thiele small params just this link. http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/professional/ps215b.html

Also not impressed with the 30-45hz O/P from above link.

I am considering two main alternatives:

A) Recone 2 blown drivers @ cost of recone £65 inc vat per driver (Wemb Loudspeakers)

B) Sell the 2 working drivers AND Replace all four units with either FANE, Beyma,RCF,B&C,PD. (Thinking Eminence's would want bigger enclosure). Lowering enclosure impedance from 8 ohms to 4.

Ideas/Suggestions anyone ?

After considering the above, messing with various TS parms in WinISD, considering costs and "googling", I have decided to replace all units with one of the following models,

a) Eminence Delta 15 (450 W RMS)LF £54.95 new

Cheaper but not as sensitive as kappa, 2.5" alu voice coil, 14.5 BL , happy in 6 ft cu area it needs to fit (with proper porting), will give enough 35hz with plenty equ & big amp, and will be replaced later with rolls royce driver when revenue returned. For some reason F3 seems better than kappa !?

b) Eminence Kappa 15 LF (600 W RMS) £74.95 new

More expensive than Delta , 101 db sensitivity, Higher power handling, 3" copper voice coil , happy in 6 cu ft, low'ish Qt, respected on the net, probably won't ever upgrade.

Suggestions/Comments/Experiences anyone ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.