Replacement Stylus for Shure V15VxMR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Keith

AFAIK, it is out of production. You may be able to find a NOS still, though. If you don't mind an alternative replacement, then the Jico SAS stylus may interest you Jico SAS Stylus

I don't personally have experience with their products, but I have seen good comments about them and I'd like, one day, to get one for my V15III.

Also, it may help to stop by at Vinylengine.com forum and the Vynil Asylum @ Audioasylum.com...

Thanks Shaun I'll check out the Jico SAS. I'm using an old Shure V15 Type III cart at the moment and really enjoying it........actually a little more than I thought I would. I need a replacement stylus for that cart as well but they are readily available.

Cheers,

Keith

Yes, replacement stylii are available here and there - though usually quite expensive.

I can only recommend going for the original part since this stylus is an extremely special beast, consisting of a beryllium cantilever of unusually low mass which is - as far as I know - no longer manufactured by anyone.

In fact, production of the V15VxMR was stopped due to the termination of production by the original manufacturer (these stylii were not made by Shure themselves).

Sorry to be not of more help!

Cheers, Hannes

Thanks Keith, I'll check out the thread you posted. I know I'm way down-under in Melbourne Australia but I have some good friends that live and work on Long Island. They live at East Quogue, I've never been there but my son was there last year and said it was very nice indeed.

Cheers,

Keith

LP Gear 600 bucks

They are ready to sell you one. They were only $500 about a month ago.

Why won't a V-MR fit on a Vx-MR?

The V-MR is a reasonalble $424.00

if you do go for the stylus the compliance may be dimished. It will work OK, but increasing the tracking force to maximum may align the stylus better.

I have an original V-MR with new tip and it sounds a lot better at maximum.

I bought this V-MR spare stylus about 15 years ago.

I personally feel that the type III elliptical is better. I have one of those too.

Mark.

KP11520 said:
Australia sounds real nice to me too although I can't say I have friends there!

One day I will go there to see for myself!

If you ever decide to visit, let me know!

Regards//Keith

Likewise Keith if ever you're down this way. My mate left in the late 70's to go live and work in New York and I came very close to going myself at the same time. I had a couple of trips when they lived in Mamaronek [hope that's how you spell it] but I've not been since they've been out on Long Island.

Thanks for your help with the V15 carts.

Cheers,

Keith

h_a said: It does not fit correctly, since the dimensions of the poles are different.

When you say "poles" are you referring to the shank that fits into the coil body?

Indications are that the VxMR has a larger shank whereas the earlier V-MR has the traditional small shank that only the Supertrack had.

I will double check this, Shure says to use the Mx97E stylus for the VxMR now.

All of the Shure stylii except the Supertrack (not including type II) are .090 and the other stylii (such as M97) are .100 inch.

hailteflon said:

h_a said: It does not fit correctly, since the dimensions of the poles are different.

When you say "poles" are you referring to the shank that fits into the coil body?

Indications are that the VxMR has a larger shank whereas the earlier V-MR has the traditional small shank that only the Supertrack had.

I will double check this, Shure says to use the Mx97E stylus for the VxMR now.

All of the Shure stylii except the Supertrack (not including type II) are .090 and the other stylii (such as M97) are .100 inch.

Hailteflon,

I'd very interested in what you find out when you double check with Shure.

Cheers,

Keith

I checked and found nothing through the Shure search engine. But, that doesn't mean that they didn't say it in the past. A year or so ago they had information that is now gone. In 2006 they had an extensive supply of replacement stylii. At appears that LPgear bought all or most of them.

Their associated x-ref guide is also now gone. I have the 2006 which doesn't include the VxMR, but there is a later x-ref that (as I recall) does included the VxMR. Evidently I didn't save it or can't find it in the appropriate Shure folder.

I recall this because whoever did the final x-ref made some mistakes and I recall never getting time to go back and keep a chart of the mistakes.

I did find a google entry today (if I find it again I will post it) that talked about this. The site is gone but the google cache has what Mick(?) said. It is only a lot of his opinions, but he did say something that looks like he tried an N97xE in this VxMR and it fit.

If I find what I am looking for I will post it. Mark

I deliberately didn't get the 5xMR - as I considered it distinctly 'dead-end' - especially as 'exchange' replacement styli were only guaranteed for, I think, 5years...barely 2 styli's usage..??

However, I did keep the full-version November 2004 discontinued x-chart (downloaded May 2005) - which, if anyone is interested, I've put onto my group files - I'll keep it there for a min 30days
http://groups.google.com/group/vintage-cambridge-audio

Look for TEMP FILE: 30day - Shure 2004 discontinued styli .pdf
(337KB)

Also, the current, limited, Shure x-chart is here:-
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/us_pro_discontinued_stylus

Frank

The lower link to the Shure chart is the one that says to put the VxMR stylus in the V-MR body. I guess they had it hidden in the DJ section. I couldn't find it last night.

Also the specs for the MR are the same as the xMR except for the coil resistance and the inductance. Trackability is the same. This probably rolls the response off.

Tonight I will download the Mx97 specs and see if the resistance and inductance are the same as the VxMR. If so, the the VxMR coil is probably a close-tolerance Mx97.

I assume that the VxMR cannot be inserted into the V-MR body.

I will post the findings.

Shure supposedly made a 10 year supply of stylii before ending prod. All of a sudden their inventory is gone. They probably (or someone anyhow) has a supply of the VxMR stylii and they are letting the price go up by choking down the supply. Stylus houses run out on the web and all of a sudden they have more.

Hi Marc,

I can only repeat myself: the V15VMR and the V15VxMR have different poles. Poles are the coil setup within the cartridge. And exactly this setup dictates the stylus shank dimensions.

I encountered occasions personally where people tried to fit one into the other. Honestly I don't remember which of the two has the smaller dimensions and fits therefore loosely into the other. But vice versa it does not fit at all.

And the combination that loosely fits is a suboptimal solution since the stylus shank must be in accordance to the pole geometry. Sure it plays and produces a signal, but this is not what the correct stylus would give you, I'm sorry.

And no, the V15V is not a better specd Mx97. Far away from that.

The same applies here as well. The V15V's have a extremely low mass cantilever made from a sheet of beryllium. The Mx97 has a simple Alu-cantilever. Therefore mechanical behaviour is completely different. Same thing for poles.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you better news.

All the best and good luck, Hannes

Hi Hannes, This is exactly what I wanted to know. That is, the shank dimensions on the VxMR are larger than the former V15 shanks.

This is where the confusion lies in the conversion chart that was posted. It gives the VxMR as the replacement stylus for the type III, IV, and V-MR.

The chart is evidently wrong. I had often wondered if Shure's carelessness had led people to try to jam a large shank into the smaller V15 body.

I was interested as to whether the VxMR used the same basic body as the M97xE because Shure was probably trying to reduce the parts count for their entire cartridge line when they converted the VxMR to the larger shank size.

I have a V-MR and it definately has the smaller .090 shank as do the III and IV.

Also, the M97xE is probably a better solution to a VxMR than the SAS etc.

Thanks, Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.