Replacement Philips CDM3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,
I know this is an old issue...and I apologize in advance (there are many threads but are more than 10 years old...).

I would like to kindly ask if anybody solved the problem and successfully replaced the CDM3 mechanism with a new type... There are mechanics nowdays from philips whose cost is around 20-30$!

My question is: except that a new mechanic will not fix into the holes, and the support and everything must be remade, is there anyway to electrically/electronically use (or adapt) a different mechanic (easily foundable on the market and at reasonable cost) into a transport that foresees the CDM3? Even if I have to rebuild the 2 cables (means not compatible pin to pin) but the signals must be the same...

I am talking about a Micromega Duo Transport. Attached pictures.

Thanks in advance,
Gianmaria

Attachments

• IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 183
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've never heard of this being done successfully (that's not say it can't be though)

There are some very real obstacles to overcome in this... the lens assembly and its servo are designed "as one" in that they have very specific characteristics. The servo has a 'frequency response' and this produces its corresponding 'bode plot' for the stability of the system taking into account the ballistics of the lens and the electronics of the servo. A similar situation arises for the platter... its inertia and the corresponding electronics it interfaces to. On a more basic level, the motor could be hall effect voltage or current driven or even a conventional DC motor. There would be some considerable interfacing to be done.

Pretty much anything is achievable, just don't under-estimate the task.

Hello,
thanks for the answers!
I was thinking to build something with a new mechanic but at the point we are, I don't think it is worthy at all!

My experctise is no more than electorinc building, no projects..

My idea was to reuse the Micromega duo chassix and (some) electronic parts (buttons, display, power supply etc.) but I should have the electrical schematic, that I don't have.

Furthermore I think all the eproms are not fitting...

I have to live with it and wait for a day I will meet a CDM3 somewhere :)

THX again,
gianmaria

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.