REplacement for Clearaudio Performer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have been using a Clearaudio Concept Turntable with Performer Cartridge.
In the last 6 months the stylus have been broken 4 times and I had to replace the cartridge. No explainable reason. I am in direct contact with Clearaudio in Germany but they could not figure out the reason. Even once I carried the whole Turntable and all settings were made onsite. Instead they helped me to replace the cartridge every time. But you can replace the stylus at Clearaudio Cartridges.

Now I want to try a different cartridge.Any one had a similar problem before with Clear audio? and what would be alternative cartridges?
Thank

Did the cantilever or stylus tip break?

Hi
I am not sure of the terms as I am a newbie but I think cantilever.
Attached a picture

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 137
As far as I can tell you CAN'T replace the stylus of the Clearaudio MMs (not all MM cartridges have replaceable styli). How did you break the styli to begin with? Normally an aluminium styli is very solid when used under normal conditions and doesn't just snap off. Not accusing you of anything, but the same might happen if an other cartridge is installed. (normally they snap when too much force is applied, especially sideways)

As far as I can tell you CAN'T replace the stylus of the Clearaudio MMs (not all MM cartridges have replaceable styli). How did you break the styli to begin with? Normally an aluminium styli is very solid when used under normal conditions and doesn't just snap off. Not accusing you of anything, but the same might happen if an other cartridge is installed. (normally they snap when too much force is applied, especially sideways)

Actually, you can replace the stylus with a bit of surgery. The cartridge is basically an Audio Technica AT-95 rebodied and with a fancier stylus. Instead of the normal AT plastic carrier, a cut-down version is used. Maybe this is then glued into the body, I'm not sure. There's at least one thread on Vinyl Engine about this.

Although carrying out a transplant like this, with a suitable replacement stylus assembly cut down to fit, would make the cartridge usable again, it obviously wouldn't be the same as the original.

My own experience is limited to cutting back the green stylus assembly of an AT-95E and glueing the stub back into the body. It looked a bit like the Clearaudio MMs, but of course with the standard plastic mounting bracket. This was too long ago for me to to be able to remember if it improved the sound, but it did look quite cool!

HTH

Mark

Something is very wrong, cantilevers don't break unless there is something very wrong.
What is happening when it breaks? Just randomly while playing?

Things that could break a pickup are turntable going backwards (faulty motor?),
children and pets, not using the the cueing lever, earthquakes(!) and sticking tonearm bearing.

[not using the dust-cover at all times will increase the risk of accidental damage, as will leaving a stylus down with turntable powered off]
There's also feedback if playing loud with speakers near the tonearm, but that's rather
obvious to identify!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.