Replace DSP with active XO , in OEM Bose amp .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm determined to complete this project though I know it will take some work . I have a car with a Bose amp that drives the following ; 3 tweets in the dash , a 6.5" in each of 4 doors , 2 subs in the rear deck .

The amp receives 4 balanced signals from the head-unit . They go into a A/D converter . I'm sure alot goes on in the DSP world but I'm not interested in that . At the other end there's a DAC . The DAC feeds a number of Drivers(chips).
My project is to put an active crossover between the inputs and the drivers . What I'm asking for is advice on the design of the XO (balanced) including which hardware would be suitable . I still need to find out which voltages +- are available from the on board power supply . Any help , ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks everyone .

Yes , I'm wanting to dump the DSP . I don't want it . I could power-down the entire DSP area of the board but it also manages the driver chips on powering up (ramp-up?) . If I completely get rid of the DSP area , I will have to hardwire the driver chips , possibly with a delay for turn-on . The one XO design that I've found through websearch is from a site in the UK . (soton.ac.uk) Towards a differential crossover .

The board area available looks to be about 4" X 5" . A new amp and XO is another option and could very well be my choice , ultimately . The reasoning that I have for my idea is that the hardware is well matched , utilizes the balanced signal (noise cancellation) and would be less cost . I do love tinkering around in electronics and in the end I appreciate a good sounding system . rb , thanks for your comments thus far .

Bose is known for using speakers that 'require' a lot of processing/equalization to produce an acceptable frequency response. Eliminating the DSP may leave you with a system that's virtually impossible to use unless you add additional equalization. Before you invest too much time in this, you should drive the speakers or the amplifiers with a normal/flat signal to see if the output is acceptable/usable without the DSP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.